Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you make time to quilt? >

How do you make time to quilt?

How do you make time to quilt?

Old 04-20-2010, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
I have the time because I'm retired, but finding the motivation is sometimes difficult. Like this morning, I thought I'll sit down and sew for a couple hours before I go to my sewing group at 10... then I sat down and picked up my laptop and turned on a movie (While you were sleeping) that I taped and here I sit!! LOL The urge to sew can be really strong at times and not so much at other times. When it's strong, I can really accomplish a lot. But then it seems I get burned out and am just not in the mood to sew. I've had a quilt top finished for weeks now that I need to get pinned so I can start quilting it, but I just haven't had the gumption to find a back and get it done! Does this happen to anyone else???

All the time!!! :?

I am not retired, but I don't work either, I am a domestic engineer :thumbup:
Old 04-20-2010, 06:38 AM

Primarily on weekends and when I take a day off of work but not usually at night. Sometimes not for a couple of weeks when things are really busy.

I HAVE to read everyday so I never miss spending some time reading every day, but sewing is not quite a high a need for me. I get done what I get done - I figure it's not a race.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:11 AM

I have a crazy work schedule...10-6:30. I'm up every day by 5:30 so I make sure I'm ready for work early enough to sew for an hour sometimes two before going to work.

Quilting IS therapy for me. Mom has Alz and lives with us so quilting relaxes me and forces me to think about something else for a while.

What did I ever do before quilting? Oh, right...cross stitch but quilting is more fun right now.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 AM

It happens to me all the time! I lose my "mojo" -- but luckily it always comes back. I like the comment that was made that we don't burn out, what was it she said? We have creative overload -- I think that's it. Sometimes I go great guns, and then sometimes I'm just not in the mood. And if I try to quilt when I'm not in the mood -- oh my, what a mess!!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:30 AM

I agree there is always time to quilt, The laundry and dust will be there tomorrow! As long as the family is fed they leave me alone!!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
How do you make time to quilt? Do you set aside a time during the day to quilt?
Well, let's see, I work full-time, am starting a Prayers & Squares ministry at my church, am starting a once a month "bring your own project to work on" at my church as well, am co-chair of the fellowship at church, have DS and 2 DGD's (ages 2 & 4) that live w/me...needless to say I'm really busy A LOT of the time. A couple of things I've done to carve out time for me to quilt are:

1. Dedicated sewing area...very important!
2. DH had me hire a teenager to come in twice a month to do the grunge housework...love it!
3. Do handwork while DH watches tv...he works out of town some weeks 3-4 nights so when he's home spending time w/him is extra important. I always try to have some handwork projects ready to work on.
4. When I can't sleep I sew
5. I try to schedule at least 15 minutes each day to doing something quilty...even if it's just straightening up or looking at a quilting website or magazine. By spending even a little time at what I love it keeps me wanting more!
Old 04-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Google Goddess

great tips thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by Diannia
Originally Posted by craftybear
How do you make time to quilt? Do you set aside a time during the day to quilt?
Well, let's see, I work full-time, am starting a Prayers & Squares ministry at my church, am starting a once a month "bring your own project to work on" at my church as well, am co-chair of the fellowship at church, have DS and 2 DGD's (ages 2 & 4) that live w/me...needless to say I'm really busy A LOT of the time. A couple of things I've done to carve out time for me to quilt are:

1. Dedicated sewing area...very important!
2. DH had me hire a teenager to come in twice a month to do the grunge housework...love it!
3. Do handwork while DH watches tv...he works out of town some weeks 3-4 nights so when he's home spending time w/him is extra important. I always try to have some handwork projects ready to work on.
4. When I can't sleep I sew
5. I try to schedule at least 15 minutes each day to doing something quilty...even if it's just straightening up or looking at a quilting website or magazine. By spending even a little time at what I love it keeps me wanting more!
Old 04-21-2010, 03:17 AM

I love the idea of 15 minutes a day! I might get some of these UFOs moved along!!!
Old 04-21-2010, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
I have the time because I'm retired, but finding the motivation is sometimes difficult. Like this morning, I thought I'll sit down and sew for a couple hours before I go to my sewing group at 10... then I sat down and picked up my laptop and turned on a movie (While you were sleeping) that I taped and here I sit!! LOL The urge to sew can be really strong at times and not so much at other times. When it's strong, I can really accomplish a lot. But then it seems I get burned out and am just not in the mood to sew. I've had a quilt top finished for weeks now that I need to get pinned so I can start quilting it, but I just haven't had the gumption to find a back and get it done!
Does this happen to anyone else???

All the time.... I call it 'Quilter's Block'. There should be a pharmaceutical remedy coming out soon.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

you can get alot done in 10-15 minute incriments...when i am not busy doing something else i am quilting...there is no (idle-time) in my world...i design and trouble shoot in my sleep, i hand stitch bindings, or appliques or what ever hand work i have during watching tv time with hubby, i do prep work when ever i have a few minutes to kill...that way when i have sit and sew time at the machine every thing is prepared and sitting beside the machine ready for me...a little organization and pre-planning can give you lots of time to accomplish...its just a little time management and you have to disipline yourself to not just sit there 'staring at the tube' in the evening...be working on something...sitting at the dr office... be stitching...i have a travel project at all times...when we go somewhere (even if it's just across town) if hubby is driving i get to sew...or sketch, i've bound quilts in the car on the way to the party...as with anything else, if you want to do it you have to take the time to do it...everyone has the same 24 hours each day, what we do with it is up to each of us. some people have to 'watch my show' well, why cant you be stitching at the same time? oh, oops, i don't do hand work...ok well, dinner is cooking, the timer is set for 15 minutes...that means i can sit down to my machine and sew for at least 12 minutes...once you start using your idle moments productively you will find more and more time...