Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you make time to quilt? >

How do you make time to quilt?

How do you make time to quilt?

Old 04-21-2010, 10:18 AM

Sundays used to be my day to sew. Its the only day my DH cooks dinner so I didn't have to plan anything. Although lately we have had alot of kid duties (prom dress shopping, practice driving for the 16 yr old, making pockets for a fundraiser, etc...) so I haven't been able to quilt. My projects have been out in my bedroom just sitting there calling to me.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by fun2quilt
You mean you are supposed to make time? I have to make time for everything else: cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc. It helps to not have any kids at home and no job to intrupt the day with (by choice).
You sound just like me. I have been lucky to have been able to stop working outside the home 10 years ago. My husband has always made a very good salary and with the kids grown and gone , I was able to do so. My sister is SOOO jealous :)
Old 04-21-2010, 12:47 PM

I just retired on 3/31 and I thought I would be spending all my days playing in my sewing room, but I find that I have to be in the right frame of mind to actually go up there. So maybe it more about being in the mood then the time thing, I am still working on that. I did manage to finish a quilt for my grandson this week . I say when you are in the mood go for it and everything else will be waiting for you when you are done. :-P
Old 04-21-2010, 01:04 PM

Being recently retired, I thought that I would have loads of time to quilt. Now it seems to me, that I had more time when I had six children at home and a part time job. I think their schedules forced me to plan and make wiser use of my time. This Soccer mom always had a portable project, that went everywhere with me, even to the games.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:46 PM

Hmmmm...not sure I should share this secret, but here goes. I got a tax ID number and started a small business making t-shirt quilts. I also make 'spec' quilts. When I want to sew, I just say "I'm going to work." I head to my sewing room and get all kinds of time to myself!
Old 04-21-2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
I have the time because I'm retired, but finding the motivation is sometimes difficult. Like this morning, I thought I'll sit down and sew for a couple hours before I go to my sewing group at 10... then I sat down and picked up my laptop and turned on a movie (While you were sleeping) that I taped and here I sit!! LOL The urge to sew can be really strong at times and not so much at other times. When it's strong, I can really accomplish a lot. But then it seems I get burned out and am just not in the mood to sew. I've had a quilt top finished for weeks now that I need to get pinned so I can start quilting it, but I just haven't had the gumption to find a back and get it done! Does this happen to anyone else???
Yes but this quilt I am on I take a block at a time and sandwich it quilt it and when I am done with each block then I will do the borders. It seems to help me to do one block at a time instead of trying to quilt a big blanket.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Katrine
Making time to quilt is easy - it's trying to fit everything else in which is difficult! I like to get a couple of hours quilting in the afternoons, but I am lucky to be retired.
And I prefer to do it in the morning (also retired). Only thing is -- before I know it, the day has gone by and I haven't done anything else. Sooooo, I try to limit myself to two hours and then shut it down and do a few "necessities." I find that if I have things cut out and ready to piece (or things laid out and ready to cut), I can steal a few minutes here and there for that.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:24 PM

My problem is I have time to quilt--it's getting motivated. Asked my pain dr. if I was depressed since I have all these craft things I want to do and he laughed at me--said I was NOT depressed, that's it's my meds that make me that way!!! :roll: :lol:
so figure that's my excuse--anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!! :mrgreen:
Old 04-21-2010, 05:35 PM

My computer is in my sewing room; sometimes I have to turn off the computer to "encourage" moving over to the sewing table. I can pretty much quilt when I want but sometimes other things get in the way (like job hunting, laundry, cleaning house, cooking and eating. oh and motivation). Today I didn't get too heavy into the board until dinner time so I got a whole 7 hours of quilting in!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 04-21-2010, 05:38 PM

I try to do household stuff first and sew later. I've been doing yard work the past 2 days and now I'm hoping for rain so I can quilt while the laundry is washing and drying. I also quilt while my DH watches TV in his favorite chair in the kitchen. At least I'm close by in the living room where my sewing stuff is strung all over the place.