Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you make time to quilt? >

How do you make time to quilt?

How do you make time to quilt?

Old 04-22-2010, 04:54 AM

oh, you mean we are supposed to MAKE?? time?? :lol:

crazy day today....

up at 7, at 8 take miss 12 to school, home, take master 14 to school, home, walk 3 to school, home, master 17 to work, grocery shopping, pick up miss 12, unpack groceries, school for parent teacher interview, pick up master 14, pick up 3 schoolies, now it's 4 pm

don't know how the husband does it!!

It is suggested on another list I belong to that you thread your needle each day, and sew enough that you use just that thread, alternately, set an oven timer for 15 minutes and use that time to sew
Old 04-22-2010, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by pennijanine
I took a medical retirement about 6 years ago and have been quilting alot. Now, I find myself on this board for half the day!! I am definitely gonna have to log off sometimes! Penni
I love your cute dogs.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:24 AM

I have to admit those of us with retired hubbies have to make time for them too. Its just hard when they want to go here and there. Sometimes I say just go by yourself and I need to sew. Because he needs time for himself without me constantly with him. I dont want us to take each other
for granted either
Old 04-22-2010, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
My husband works 4-midnight (gets home about 1) so once the kids are all fast asleep in their nice warm beds I hit the sewing machine. I normally sew until he gets home and then watch tv for a few and then head to bed. Get up at 6am and start my day, once the kids are in bed(eightish) sewing resumes!

For the next couple of weeks I am going to be lost. We are (FINALLY) closing on our house Wednesday so my machines have to be boxed up along with all my fabric and projects and moved to the new house. I won't get any sewing done in the next couple of weeks :( but as soon as the last box is unpacked and he goes back to work I know where I will be!
Will we be blessed with pics of your new sewing room? :thumbup:
Old 04-22-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
How do you make time to quilt? Do you set aside a time during the day to quilt?
You just do it when you have the time and energy to do so after you've tended to all of the other important things in your life. As someone earlier said, it's nice to be retired and that really does help as now I can complete a quilt in a decent time frame. 4 years for a queen sized quilt is a long time but I sure got my money's worth out of the cost of that fabric. When your married, have family at home and a job, those things are important and do take priority but even then I did try to squeeze in some time to quilt - better known as me or my time and we all need some me or my time. When the family was home, I set up in the living or kitchen to use the sewing machine and later would hand quilt in the living room with them while enjoying TV time. Even retired, I'm amaze at how prolific most of my friends are compared to me but they are all machine quilters and that makes a huge difference. I couldn't afford to be that prolific so it's better for me to be a slow mo hand quilter.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltntime
I'm retired, but DH wants to go places every day. By the time we get home, it's too late and I'm too tired to quilt. I think I need 2 of me. ;-)
Yep! I know what you mean. WhenDH first retired, he would ask:"What are we doing tomorrow?' or "What are we doing today/" I would answer "Whatever yu want to do."
Old 04-22-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltntime
I'm retired, but DH wants to go places every day. By the time we get home, it's too late and I'm too tired to quilt. I think I need 2 of me. ;-)
Yep! I know what you mean. When DH first retired, he would ask:"What are we doing tomorrow?' or "What are we doing today?" I would answer "Whatever you want to do." But that got old! One day he "made the mistake" of asking, "What do you want to do today? I answered, "I want to quilt, or do some scrapbooking." He found something to do.

:lol:
Old 04-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

I sew most eveings for a couple hours and most weekends, while I clean,laundry and cook for the upcoming week of lunches. I retire in June, Hubby will continue to work and I plan to spread housework and laundry throughout the week and make lots more quilts. I machine quilt and want to get them done faster than I could ever hand quilt. I have tons of fabric to use up and I want to do it while I still can. hand quilting is too hard on my hands, did lots before machine quilting came along.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
I have the time because I'm retired, but finding the motivation is sometimes difficult. Like this morning, I thought I'll sit down and sew for a couple hours before I go to my sewing group at 10... then I sat down and picked up my laptop and turned on a movie (While you were sleeping) that I taped and here I sit!! LOL The urge to sew can be really strong at times and not so much at other times. When it's strong, I can really accomplish a lot. But then it seems I get burned out and am just not in the mood to sew. I've had a quilt top finished for weeks now that I need to get pinned so I can start quilting it, but I just haven't had the gumption to find a back and get it done! Does this happen to anyone else???
Oh Yes!! It's been happening to me just lately. Maybe it's spring fever, but I am getting so bad. I have to force myself to sit down and work on the queen size quilt I'm making for my grandson for his b'day in June. That's not so far away. I have the blocks all made and half squared up. And every day I look at them, and every day I procrastinate more. If I don't get it done in time I'll be really disappointed in myself!
Old 04-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

well, since hubby and I discovered we aren't getting as much stuff done as we'd like, once a week we play a game called, "Aileen and Ben".
(ahem!...I know what your thinking! :roll: )
A I-leen over and he kick starts me in the rear,
and he Ben s over and i kick start him back! :lol: