Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you make your binding full? >

How do you make your binding full?

How do you make your binding full?

Old 07-22-2019, 07:21 PM

Question How do you make your binding full?

When I stitch my binding on I do it before I trim the batting and backing. When the binding is on then I put my ruler on the seam line at the half inch line and trim. When I ladder stitch the binding on the back the binding is full.

I have watched several binding tutorials recently and the batting and backing have been trimmed even with the top prior to stitching on the binding. If it is done this way then how can the binding be full?

I’m interested to know how y’all do your binding.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:27 PM

I leave 1/4” batting sticking out all the way around when I trim the quilt sandwich. That little bit gives me the fullness I prefer in my binding.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:37 PM

Judges at quilt shows look for binding that is full and that is the same amount showing on front and back. They may be able to do that because they are familiar with the weight of the fabric and batting they are using and know it will work. To me that is poor teaching if they do not share that principle. Others may not be aware of it and/or just do not feel it is as important. I use Quilters Dream batting for my personal projects...either their cotton select weight or their Dream Orient (my favorite, a blend of silk, bamboo, eucalyptus and cotton). If my fabric is not real heavy I leave 1/4” extra. I would rather trim a little batting to make it work than wish I had more and try to stuff a little strip in.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:56 PM
Power Poster

I always square my quilts and trim the edges straight with my rotary cutter before putting on my binding. I use 2-1/4 double fold binding and use a 1/4 inch seam allowance on the front. With the quilt top, back, batting and 4 layers of fabric from the binding, it is full.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:54 PM

Don't iron it in half (lengthwise) before you sew it on.

I'm serious. It sounds like too little, but it really works.

I always square and trim my quilt before stitching the binding on. When applying the binding, I align the raw edges of the binding with the raw edge of the quilt and stitch 1/4" in. Wrap the binding around, and since I didn't iron it first, the fabric is free to adjust itself and wrap nice and snug. Then stitch to the back. I use either a 2" or 2.25" binding. My bindings are show quality and I have a happy base of customers who pay me to do their bindings.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I always square my quilts and trim the edges straight with my rotary cutter before putting on my binding. I use 2-1/4 double fold binding and use a 1/4 inch seam allowance on the front. With the quilt top, back, batting and 4 layers of fabric from the binding, it is full.
this is just what I do, also. a full binding is why i cut the binding 2 1/4"
Old 07-23-2019, 02:58 AM

I do a very rough trim of the sandwich prior to sewing on my binding. I use a 2.25" binding. Once machine sewn to the front of the quilt I then do a final trim at 1/2 inch from the seam line. I also (after reading here) no longer iron my binding in half first. It seems odd at first but it is easier to then hand sew to the back of the quilt. I get full bindings this way.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:30 AM

"I do a very rough trim of the sandwich prior to sewing on my binding. I use a 2.25" binding. Once machine sewn to the front of the quilt I then do a final trim at 1/2 inch from the seam line. I also (after reading here) no longer iron my binding in half first. It seems odd at first but it is easier to then hand sew to the back of the quilt. I get full bindings this way." NJ Quilter

A question for those that trim after the binding is attached. I like the method of trimming the quilt after binding is attached. Do you mark a reference line around the quilt to keep the binding straight?
Old 07-23-2019, 05:07 AM

Rhonda,

if if I understand your question, I square up my quilt by marking it with a pen instead of actually cutting the quilt layers. Then I stitch the binding on using those reference marks. Trimming with the ruler on the half inch mark gives an extra 1/4 inch to fill in the binding.

I tried the idea of not pressing the binding in half prior to stitching but didn’t really notice a difference.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:38 AM

I too trim my all three layers of my quilt and use double fold 2 1/4" binding, and it comes out full.