Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you mark your quilt top?? >

How do you mark your quilt top??

How do you mark your quilt top??

Old 05-28-2011, 12:09 PM

I want to mark my quilt top with a design...I used to trace my design on tissue paper, then pin that to my quilt top and quilt on the lines. But removing the tissue can be a little cumbersome. There must be a better, easier way to mark the quilt top. Do you have any suggestions?? :wink:
Old 05-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Kas

I have a huge collection of stencils in all sizes I have been accumulating for years. I haul out my pile and start laying them on the quilt. When I find one I like, I use a water soluble blue pen to mark it with the stencil. I have burned and also cut custom ones when there wasn't one for sale that I liked or that fit the motif. Once I made kangaroo and emu stencils for my son's quilt by printing off pics from the internet an tracing them onto burnable stencil plastic. And just a couple of days ago I enlarged one I liked, but that was too small.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-203518.jpe  
Old 05-28-2011, 12:32 PM

Doesn't your blue pen dry out after a while so how many blue pens do you use on one quilt?? And where do you get the stencils? What are Burnable ones?
Old 05-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by stephaniequeen
Doesn't your blue pen dry out after a while so how many blue pens do you use on one quilt?? And where do you get the stencils? Burnable ones too?
I rotate between them, usually two. They refresh after a break. I usually need a break, too! I also use the Clover white pen for marking on dark fabrics, but you need to let it dry to see it. I love quiltingcreations.com the most. I also have purchased from The Stencil Company and Anita Shackleford.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:01 PM

I use the Fon's & Porter Pencils...Or something like it. I've never had an issue with the lead not coming out of my fabric..its almost like a chalk. The Blue fabric markers scare me. =)
Old 05-28-2011, 01:54 PM

I mark my design on Sulky Solvy with Crayola washable markers. Then I quilt, cut away the bulky extra. Once it's washed, the rest dissolves! It works best for me because I am still fairly new at FMQ and my stitches starting off are often very small. Some people do the same with Glad press & seal, but picking out the little bits would drive me crazy.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:06 PM

I use the Fons and Porter mechanical pencils: lead color for light fabrics and white for dark. They brush or wash off beautifully. When I don't have a stencil, just a design, I run it off on paper and poke holes in the paper. I use a powder puff and bath powder to make the design on dark fabric or cinnamon on light. Then I trace with F & P pencils and "puff" the other stuff off. Works for me.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Kas

With the pens, just soak the whole quilt in the washer on cold with no soap, gently agitate then spin it out. Then I was with a gentle detergent on warm an on the delicate cycle. Put in dryer and have never had any problems of any kind. I would be more worried about not being able to get a pencil out. No rubbing or erasing or anything with the pen. Just make sure to soak with only water before you use detergent. I don't have time to go back over every quilt marking to remove it.