Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you organize old magazines >

How do you organize old magazines

How do you organize old magazines

Old 01-12-2019, 07:38 AM

I do what most do....tear out the patterns I want to keep and toss the rest...be sure to keep the "pattern pages" if there is applique...
Old 01-12-2019, 07:45 AM

I scan the pages that interest me into my computer and file them accordingly. The rest just has to go. I love curling up and reading my magazines. It's much better than staring at a computer screen. I have a couple of baskets of them around the house, but once I've read them thoroughly...they're gone. The only exception are my "Old House Journals." We are still working on the final touches of building our house and planning to build another, old-fashioned house in the near future, so I am constantly referring to the Journals for ideas.

~ C
Old 01-12-2019, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

​I am finally to the point where I think I can let mine go. I haven’t looked through them in ages and there are more patterns out on the internet then I can do in my lifetime.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:07 AM

I'm purging magazines now (again, but this time ruthlessly). Patterns I had saved in page protectors mostly still appeal to me, but I have never made a quilt from them, so it's essentially making a new magazine for myself. It's a crazy thing. I can't figure myself out sometimes! But I am loving the feeling of regaining empty space. The real estate is too valuable for things I'm not using.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:17 AM

I'm in the process of going thru old magazines and taking out parts I think I might use and tossing the rest. I'm thinking about scanning the pages I've kept into my computer so that if I do want to use them, I can just print them out.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

I got rid of all my mags several years ago and haven't missed one!
Old 01-12-2019, 02:31 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I tore out the patterns and occasionally techniques that I wanted to save, put them in page protectors, sorted first by type—twin, queen, king, wallhanging, miscellaneous. Three very wide 3 ring binders resulted. Recycled evrything else.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:20 PM

I do as everyone else seems to do, rip and store in sheet protectors. My categories are different - I have Christmas-themed projects and artsy-fartsy projects. Everything else is sorted into how badly I want to make them. One binder is stuff I want to make right now. Another binder is stuff to make someday, when I have the needed skills, or want a certain kind of project (like handwork), or it's for babies and grandkids, which are a ways off. Another binder is full of visual inspiration; not necessarily things I'll actually make, but I might take inspiration from. For instance, this quilt has a neat border, that quilt has cool sashing, etc.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I do as everyone else seems to do, rip and store in sheet protectors. My categories are different - I have Christmas-themed projects and artsy-fartsy projects. Everything else is sorted into how badly I want to make them. One binder is stuff I want to make right now. Another binder is stuff to make someday, when I have the needed skills, or want a certain kind of project (like handwork), or it's for babies and grandkids, which are a ways off. Another binder is full of visual inspiration; not necessarily things I'll actually make, but I might take inspiration from. For instance, this quilt has a neat border, that quilt has cool sashing, etc.
We live in a parallel universe )
That is an exact breakdown of how I have mine sorted.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:51 PM

I've gone from 6 subscriptions to 3--soon to be 2. I make a rule that if a magazine doesn't have at least 3 patterns that I like and may make, I only copy any that I like and donate the others to our Guild garage sale or beginners class. And I go through them at least once a year and have the same rule. I've noticed that when I think I loved every quilt in the magazine, a year later I may be very ho-hum--and out goes the magazine!