How do you organize? >

How do you organize?

How do you organize?

Old 01-03-2011, 07:40 PM

I just buy fabric for specific projects and i keep them all together
Old 01-03-2011, 07:42 PM

organize ? what is that
Old 01-03-2011, 07:50 PM

I'm really limited on space so I had to get creative. Have all my fabric in clear totes. Novelty, western, Christmas, solids, etc. Remnants or pieces larger and fat quarters but smaller than a yard I rolled and store on a shelf. Fabric kits are all stored together in a box labled 'ready to sew' It's not perfect, but it works until I have a sewing room. Good luck!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
organize ? what is that
Organize is in the dictionary so it must mean something and it is that something that I'm looking for - you are too funny!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Camper
For the most part, our stash is sorted by color. We fold each piece of quilting fabric (anything from ¼ yd to 3 yds) to fit short way in an under-the-bed clear container. We then stack the containers two high and two wide on metal wire shelves (like at Sam’s Club). Every container is labeled with the color on the front (or combination of colors, or novelty type). One of my daughters wanted me to add that the fabric in each container is placed darks to lights to help the younger quilters in their choice options.

Backing fabrics are stored on bolts stacked on the same type of metal shelving unit.

Unfinished projects get their own zip lock bag with reference info written on the bag then placed flat in another clear under-the-bed container.

All cut strips in smaller clear tubs according to size. All cut triangles & squares in labeled clear tubs according to size.

All quilting/sewing books on book shelf categorized by types & then alphabetized within their type.

We have seven quilters in our home so organization helps greatly and contributes to keeping the fur from flying too thickly when deadlines are nearing. I am an over the top type of organizer . . . . those I quilt with run the spectrum from piler to more obsessive than I am. We love to help people organize their sewing rooms/stashes and have found that the bottom line is that you need a system that fits you, that you can maintain, and that you can afford!
Mine is organized by color, then by shades of that color. I have clear plastic bins with 2",3",4",and5" pieces of scrap fabic. I keep all my binding and border fabric on 1 shelf. On another, I keep my seasonal fabric. I have a clear bin for my thread.It sounds like too much organizing,but I give my customers the option of going into my fabric rooms and choosing from my fabrics. I try to make the back rooms as neat as the front quilt shop room. My daughter helps me keep it neat, cause my MS flares up at times and I have to lay down and then she takes over for me.She has no quilting skills but she keeps the shop open for me.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:35 AM

Go to Quiltville.com and see what Bonnie Hunter suggests.............she's one organizer supreme.