Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you organize your scraps. >

How do you organize your scraps.

How do you organize your scraps.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:20 AM

I just started my first scrappy quilt. I saw a quilt as you go demo and decided to do it. It uses 2" strips plus needs a 3" width for the corners. My problem is I haven't been quilting long and I don't have enough scraps. I cut a few strips from my (small) stash but decided that is silly. This quilt will probably be a wip for a few years so I can accumulate more scraps.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:26 AM

I cut my scraps up into squares of sizes I use starting with 5" squares if I can get that size, and then into whatever sizes I can get with 1-1/2" being the smallest I will cut. Then I have plastic shoe boxes I put them into. I have written on the boxes with marker the size of squares in it.

If a scrap does have a full width of fabric I can cut a strip from, I will cut that first before cutting the scrap into squares.

And if the scrap is something I don't think I will be wanting to use any more of, I put it on our guild's put and take table.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:45 AM

Love the idea of crumb quilts-- I was saving only scraps that I could cut into strips of 1.5 inch or bigger. WOW-- I cant wait to try the crumb quilt. I love being able to use every inch of fabric. It's so expensive to buy- I am a bargain person. Thanks Ladies!
Old 04-16-2011, 05:59 AM

I have tried organizing my small scrap stash by size a few times, but it seems that I think in color. I always end up digging around for the right color when I am actually using my scraps for something. Right now they are in rainbow order, with extra space for neutrals, holiday themes, and multi color prints.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way. Color works for me, but size might work for you.

Some people think "in a heap" is best. Isn't it great we all have the freedom to choose, and we are all right!?!
Old 04-16-2011, 06:04 AM

New fabric is sorted by project. Unused fabric is sorted by color except specific holiday fabrics (those are kept together). Scraps are also sorted by color except specific holiday fabrics (those are kept together).

Just a thought -- too much thinking/planning with a scrappy quilt is not a good thing (you will drive yourself crazy -- no pun intended). I just pull a fabric out of the container, the only exception for me is placing the same fabric too close together.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:13 AM

i agree the scrap quilt is a fun idea but doing it is scary.
i started cutting leftovers into strips.then rolled them up according to the colors. blue rolls, brown rolls, etc. i may regret it later but at least i can tell what i have. big pieces i have left alone so there is more flexibility with how to use them
Old 04-16-2011, 06:13 AM

I fold them so the messy sides are in, roll them up tightly, tie them with a short piece of inexpensive ribbon and stick them in a big basket on the floor--more or less by color. They're pretty that way and, best of all, I can find what I'm looking for when I want it.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:20 AM

I organize mine using Bonnie Hunter's Scrap Users System. Read about it on her website. www.quiltville.com
Old 04-16-2011, 06:32 AM

Organize? is that a new word?
Old 04-16-2011, 06:40 AM

Mine are organized by color. Anything smaller than 2" square is gone in the trash.

I have little storage drawers - one for reds, brown/yellow, beige/white, black, red/orange and green. I take one day a month and "file". Works for me.

Pat in CO