Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you pack for a workshop or class? >

How do you pack for a workshop or class?

How do you pack for a workshop or class?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:17 AM

Default How do you pack for a workshop or class?

I'm going to take a class soon that I have to take along STUFF. I trying to decide how to organize myself for this class. I have to take a sewing machine and all my supplies along with a large amount of fabric to have enough choices during the class. Can you share with me how you organize yourself for a class or workshop? What do you carry all your stuff in? I was thinking a plastic tub. But I was thinking that might be too big to walk into a class with? I don't know. I want to make sure I have good choices with me but I don't want to overdo it either.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:32 AM

I usually put as much stuff in my rolling tote that my machine is in as I can. Then I have a basket that the rest of the stuff goes in. Mark all you rulers and notions with you name as there will be many people with their notions too and some times they get missed placed. I usually try an lock my purse in my car. Why worry about where it is when you are sewing. I do take enough fabric for two or three projects just in case. have a good time.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:35 AM

Were you given a list of materials needed from the class instructor? I usually follow that plus bring along basics like scissors, pins, extra sewing needle, seam ripper. I carry most of the stuff in a big bag if I can't fit it in the sewing machine carry-along case. Enjoy your class.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:36 AM

I also put as much stuff in my sewing machine case as I can. I have a large black satchel that I bought from LQS several years ago that has many pockets and I put pins, seam ripper, etc in that. I haven't found a good way to carry long rullers yet other than just carry them in in my hands. I usually have to make at least a couple of trip from my car to the shop and I park as close to the shop as I can. My aging need and hands don't much like all the holding and lifting to much. Good luck
Old 01-09-2012, 11:33 AM

I have one small suitcase, with wheels, that i purchased because it was wide enough to hold the machine because when rolling, the machine would sit upright...this leaves room for a number of plastic bags for fabric, rulers, etc., I have a small cutting mat that fits inside the bag...if taking my serger, I have a rolling cooler i bought simply because it was a 'cube' shape and fits well... roll as much as you can, go early, to walk slowly and have time to set up.... plan a few purchases for the class as most stores give a discount on the night of the class, so it's time to take advantage of backing or other purchases you may have in mind. Of course, you should check with the store beforehand to make sure they do this, but I have always made a list for that night...the savings helps pay for the class...
Old 01-09-2012, 12:33 PM

First thing is to check with whoever is in charge of the class and get the skinny or fatty on what is needed for the class. If you need to take along a larger than 12 X 18 cutting mat you might invest in an artist's portfolio that is large enough to hold the mat. I have a craft tote that holds my machine and has pockets for the notions etc. and the fabric will fit on top. However this needs replaced so I am designing a project portfolio to take along with a new machine rolling tote.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:41 PM

In my rollabout machine case I pack an 18"x6" rotary cutting ruler so it lays flat against the back and the machine butts it up against the side ensuring it won't break. The machine case has lots of slots and such on the sides for packing machine notions, rotary cutters and extra blades, and pin box; on the top of the machine case I lay the zippered bag I made to store my trimming scissors, marking materials, seam ripper, extra needles (machine and hand), extra bobbins, 6"x9" spiral notebook and two pens, and a small stickies pad (to note machine stitch details). I have another large zippered tote for the fabrics, patterns and instructions for the class that I place on top of the closed rollabout with a bungee cord. With the exception of the machine and the fabrics for class, I keep all the rest of this stuff pre-packed for classes so I can GO. I might bring a travel iron and one of those 18x24 pressing & cutting duos if I am not absolutely certain there will be several cutting and pressing stations set up.

Last edited by Wunder-Mar; 01-09-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:49 PM

If your budget allows, buy a rolling duffle bag because the length can accomodate most rullers, and it can expand nicely and fits lots of fabric and stuff. I mark my name on "everything", as well as put a bright flourescent orange dot on everything. I even put a soft side cooler in the duffle bag for my water and snacks, my driver's license and some cash & 1 ccard in a zip lock. My thread, & miscellaneous notions go into ziplocks. My sewing machine fits into a rolling case from Joann's,( and I can roll both at the same time. Most places will help us carry things up any stairs.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:57 PM

All good suggestions. I also make sure I have bottled water to drink and sometimes a small snack if its a long class/workshop. Also be sure to bring extra sewing machine needles.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

Don't forget to bring a chair pillow. I find most workshop chairs are not high enough for the table. I also bring a waste container of some sort, a paper bag tapped to the table works great. I pack fabric for each project in the large plastic rectangle cake carrier sold at Walmart. Each one holds a lot of fabric and they stack great in a big tote.