Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you preshrink batting? >

How do you preshrink batting?

How do you preshrink batting?

Old 01-22-2014, 02:13 PM

What you need is a friend that likes Warm and Natural batting so you can trade for some that doesn't shrink. As for me, I love a good crinkle. All my lost points and mismatched seams get lost in the crinkles!
Old 01-22-2014, 02:55 PM

I prewash W&N all the time as I don't want the crinkly look. I fill a large plastic container/bucket/bowl with hot tap water and soak 5 or 10 minutes. Drain, pressing down on the wet batting to remove as much water as possible. Then I hold it up and squeeze it from the top down WITHOUT twisting. This get so much more water out. Put through my front loading machine on the Drain and Spin Cycle (13 minutes). Then into a hot or warm dryer for about 30 minutes. Comes out looking better than when I started. :-)
Old 01-22-2014, 03:55 PM

Just make sure your batting can be prewashed on the packaging, some do not lend themselves to prewashing
Old 01-22-2014, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by amh View Post
I'm one of those people who does not really like the crinkly look. I have lots of warm and natural 100% cotton batting. When I had a top loader washing machine I could preshrink it, but now that I have a front loader, am not sure how to do it.

I have had one suggestion to soak the batting in quite warm water in the bathtub and then pretend I am stomping grapes to get the water out and then to dry it. I haven't tried it yet.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to preshrink the batting?

Thanks.

Aileen
Warm and Natural is not 100% cotton. It's needle punched through a polyester scrim. It's more like 88 - 12.

You could also just spray it down good with a spray bottle and put it in the dryer. It doesn't have to be soaking wet and the dryer is what really causes shrinkage.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
Warm and Natural is not 100% cotton. It's needle punched through a polyester scrim. It's more like 88 - 12.

You could also just spray it down good with a spray bottle and put it in the dryer. It doesn't have to be soaking wet and the dryer is what really causes shrinkage.
That is exactly what I do. I can't imagine myself trying to get a wet batting into my washing machine to let it spin: too heavy for me, when soaked.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:17 PM
amh

I've done it.

I put a piece of batting 90 by 100 into the front loading washer and put the setting on handwash. Ran it through the cycle and put it in the dryer and dried it. It took a couple dry cycles to dry it. The end measurements are 75 by 96.

It turned out just fine. Had to go to work so couldn't take it out of the dryer when it was dry, so I'll have to put it back in with a damp towel for a few minutes to get whatever wrinkles out.

Aileen
Old 01-24-2014, 03:19 PM

I have a top loader and put the batting in with a little detergent and use the gentle cycle. Always use low heat to dry.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
why not just purchase batting that does not shrink? there are so many great battings on the market these days- it just makes more sense to buy the batting that is right for my project than to try to go through all the hassles of pre-shrinking a batt.
This is what I was thinking also. Just get batting that doesn't shrink.

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I love a good crinkle. All my lost points and mismatched seams get lost in the crinkles!
Same here!!! My quilts always look SO much better after washing!
Old 01-24-2014, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by amh View Post
Hi QuiltE:

For a top loader -- put in the piece of batting and fill the tub with hot water. DO NOT let the batting aggitate. Just turn the machine off and let the batting sit in the hot water for 10 or 15 minutes. Move the dial on the washer to spin. Spin it out. Put in the dryer on a hot setting and dry. It always came out just fine. If you aggitate it it will just break apart.

Hope this helps, and I hope someone has an idea of how what I can try.
This is how I preshrink mine. I do a lot of hand quilting and it seems to make Warm and Natural softer and easier to hand quilt when it's been preshrunk.