Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you price a quilt a friend asks you to make? >

How do you price a quilt a friend asks you to make?

How do you price a quilt a friend asks you to make?

Old 08-11-2010, 06:31 AM

I have a hard time with this too. I can make wedding cakes, sew gowns, flower girl dresses, etc. I have been asked by three brides this summer to make them a cake or sew something for their wedding. 2 of the brides were not that close of friends but I did one cake for free - as a wedding gift. The other I charged $75 - which was deeply discounted. And the 4 flower girl dresses I am doing for free. I have put in about 2 weeks worth of sewing - its a lot.
But the one thing all three had in common is that they asked "how much would you charge me?" Then I feel badly so I just say "oh, you're my friend I wouldn't charge you ..."

Bottom line it's hard when a friend asks you. Good luck
Old 08-11-2010, 06:52 AM

I have made several things for my BFF.
I have never charged her but she knows the value and has always done something nice in return.
I find this is more rewarding than the $$$
not only does she appreciate what I make and openly displays it in her home, but she knows what I like and gives me back some great gifts!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:16 AM

Several of my friends want to either buy one of my quilts or have me design and make one. I have a stack of quilts that are ready to be sold with prices already on them. I pull them out so they can see my work and pricing. Then we talk about them buying the materials and I discount 1/3. I figure 1/3 materials, 1/3 Labor. 1/3 quilting cost. Sometimes I don't have time so I have someone else quilt it.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:52 AM

I would really find it hard to charge someone even though I know the $$$ can add up with fabric and labor. I made a baby quilt for a girl at work earlier this year. One of the guys asked me about how much the supplies cost and how many hours it took me, etc. - I am still new so it probably takes me a little longer. He was really surprised about how much goes into it. Then a few months later he found out his wife was expecting twin girls and I made 2 baby quilts for them. The next week I had a thank you note and gift card for $30 for a LQS on my desk. I told him it was a gift and he didn't have to do that. He said that was nothing compared to the time and money I put into it. I was very appreciative, but still kinda felt bad.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by cmworrall
I would really find it hard to charge someone even though I know the $$$ can add up with fabric and labor. I made a baby quilt for a girl at work earlier this year. One of the guys asked me about how much the supplies cost and how many hours it took me, etc. - I am still new so it probably takes me a little longer. He was really surprised about how much goes into it. Then a few months later he found out his wife was expecting twin girls and I made 2 baby quilts for them. The next week I had a thank you note and gift card for $30 for a LQS on my desk. I told him it was a gift and he didn't have to do that. He said that was nothing compared to the time and money I put into it. I was very appreciative, but still kinda felt bad.
WOW! That was really nice of that guy! He knows and appreciates all your work.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:31 AM

I just had a friend who wanted the table runner in my avatar - I did not want to charge her - another friend was here that day and she said, "I'd ask $45 for it - it's handmade/quilted." My first friend - gave me $50... I tried to give her ten back but she wouldn't take it - she's a quilter - she knows the work that goes into one.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:44 AM

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a million. Ilsa :-)
Old 08-11-2010, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the info. This could be a real project/WORK as she just sent the material and the back is too stiff for the front.