Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you put you sandwich together? >

How do you put you sandwich together?

How do you put you sandwich together?

Old 04-27-2014, 06:20 AM

Default How do you put you sandwich together?

I like spray basting, but can you tell me how you all put the sandwiches together efficiently, especially for a large size!! I have tried several ways, but not found one that really works great for me. The best so far is just doing it on my design wall- I would have to bring it outside to avoid putting paper all over for the overspray. Please start from which piece you start with, etc. I have 4 quilt tops calling my name today!!! Thank you all!!
Old 04-27-2014, 06:28 AM

We have a banquet table purchased at Costco. I lay the backing on the table -- centered, and gently bind it in place with office supply binder clips (without stretching it at all). I then lay batting and top down, pin baste.

Once the area on top of the table is basted, I move the quilt one way or another, binder clip and baste as described. Typically I don't have to use binder clips on the part that is already basted. Its weight holds that side of the quilt in place. I just flip the batting and top up so the backing is visible, binder clip backing to the table so the backing is firmly in position but not stretched and then lay the rest of the sandwich back down to be basted.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:51 AM
JT

I have spray basted on the floor and on tables. By far the easiest for me is using my design wall. My wall is 8ft wide and about 7 ft tall (in the lower level). I can pin the backing up as I am getting started, but the batting on my design wall holds it pretty good. I use plastic painters tarp on the floor. It hasn't been a problem for me. Also I run a small fan on low. I got it together quickly like that. It was a quilt that was about 60 X 72, that took me quite a while to quilt. The spray held very good while quilting. From now on, I will spray baste on my design wall, versus pins or hand basting. Such a time saver.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:54 AM
JT

Oh...and I don't worry about the small about of spray that gets on the design wall, since it will just hold things in place, which is what I want anyway.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:59 AM

I pin baste also. I'm sorry but I just don't like basting spray - at least not for basting. I use it for a lot of other things. I sandwich my quilts the same as TeresaA. I have 4 of the folding banquet tables so I can use as many as I need depending on the quilt size. I have heard of some who spray baste their quilts in sections, which would require smaller amounts of paper. When I use any spray adhesive I lay down sheets of news print purchased at U-Haul for packing. It's pretty reasonably priced, but I still let the adhesive dry on the paper and re-use it several times to save even more.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:20 AM

I like spray basting. I put my batting in the dryer to get all the wrinkles out of it. I lay my batting on the floor and spray it. I put the backing on top of the batting so I can see it.

I usually use the floor. It doesnt bother me to get a little spray on the carpet!
Old 04-27-2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
We have a banquet table purchased at Costco. I lay the backing on the table -- centered, and gently bind it in place with office supply binder clips (without stretching it at all). I then lay batting and top down, pin baste.

Once the area on top of the table is basted, I move the quilt one way or another, binder clip and baste as described. Typically I don't have to use binder clips on the part that is already basted. Its weight holds that side of the quilt in place. I just flip the batting and top up so the backing is visible, binder clip backing to the table so the backing is firmly in position but not stretched and then lay the rest of the sandwich back down to be basted.
This is exactly what I do as well, just a different table. Works for me. Sometimes, if it's a king size, I'll thread baste vs pin baste but still in the same fashion.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

The last time I spray basted, I used my garage door opening. I used push pins to attach the backing top to the wood above the door. I then sprayed and pinned the batt and top smoothing as I went against the door. When it all looked good I removed the pushpins along the top and brought it inside.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

when using spray I do it on the floor- first putting down a large old sheet to catch any overspray. then I smooth the batting down- spray it, place the backing over the sprayed batting, smooth it all out evenly starting in the center and working my way out to the edges- when I have it all smoothed together well I pick it up, flip it over, spray the other side of the batting, smooth the top over it...then I let it dry for a little bit- make sure all is secure & pick it up to go to the sewing machine. *all that being said- I don't spray baste really large projects- generally just table toppers/runners, tree skirts, small items- so, I don't know if my method will work as well for a large project; in my mind it would be the same*
Old 04-27-2014, 10:11 AM

I started out doing Sharon Schambler's method from Youtube on top of my dining room table with pads. My husband made me 2 double thickness boards which I was going to use to put the top and bottom around as she suggested. I have found, however , that the weight of the boards is enough to weight the section down. I do Sharon Schambler's herringbone stitch and find it works for me. No tucks on the backing and everything is smooth. I have actually gotten to like basting. I use heavy thread purchased at Joann's. If you don't have a handy husband like mine, why couldn't you use several pavers to weigh it down. I love this method. I have a bad back and no floor is perfect for me!