Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How do you Remove your feed dogs to Free Motion Quilt???

Junior Member ProLongarmARTQUILTER's Avatar
    On these old vintage Sewing Machines, How do you go about taking out the feed teeth or feed dogs??? I suppose you remove the two screws and it lifts out but I DON"T Know for sure. Could you help??? Many Thanks!!! :?: :( I'm not my GreatGranny!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ProLongarmARTQUILTER
    On these old vintage Sewing Machines, How do you go about taking out the feed teeth or feed dogs??? I suppose you remove the two screws and it lifts out but I DON"T Know for sure. Could you help??? Many Thanks!!! :?: :( I'm not my GreatGranny!!!
    IDK about manually lowering them, but most machines I've seen without the option to lower them have the "darning plate" to place over them.

Usually there is a little switch you flip over but in the case of an old machine you may have another plate, a darning plate to place over the feed dogs. Hope tht helps.

Elle

Blog Entries
    you can use a piece of template plastic to tape over them with a hole punched for needle. I do this on my featherweight or a machine repair guy told me to use a little hex tool to just take them right out. VERY small screws so don't loose them. ha I did this on my old kenmore and then had my DH put it back in later. It works

Everyone seems to have covered the answers. My very first machine I had to cover the feed dogs with plastic.

Blog Entries
    Typically on the vintage machines there is no way to lower the feed dogs. I would not even consider removing the feed dogs to free motion quilt.

Most people cover the sewing area with a plate or plastic, leaving just a hole for the needle; that prevents the feed dogs from coming into contact with the quilt sandwich.

Have you tried free motion machine quilting while the feed dogs are up? This would be while using a darning foot (which "hops" from stitch to stitch so feed dogs are fully engaged only while stitch is being made, and have less influence between stitches). Some people actually prefer free-motion quilting with the feed dogs up as it can help keep the stitches even.

Experiment with a practice sandwich and see which approach is going to work best for you.

Blog Entries
    The only reason not to leave the feed dogs up in the newer machines while machine quilting if you can lower them is it will eventually ruin the feed dog timing. I read that somwhere. :shock:

i've only ever had to cover it with template plastic that was taped down really well on all edges. keep an eye on the tape. if the edges start to curl up, it's time to change the tape.

I would not remove the feed dogs. My older machines have the button on top to release the pressure on the presser foot. If you release that pressure, you may be able to do free-motion quilting. If you are going to cover the feed dogs, I recommend something that makes a "bubble" over them, like the plastic cover that comes with some machines. If you don't have that, you might try the plastic cover from a package of Schmetz needles. Position that upside down over the feed dogs, and then tape it to the machine, preferably covering that with a piece of template plastic first, so your quilt doesn't catch on the edges of the Schmetz cover. But you can only do that if you can release the pressure on your presser foot.

It's especially important to use the spring foot (darning or freemotion quilters foot) if you doing this, because it has better flexibility and your quilt will slide more freely.

I hope that helps. :wink: