Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how do you separate stash >

how do you separate stash

how do you separate stash

Old 06-13-2011, 06:56 AM

I did mine by colours with the exception of batiks, flannels,novelty, and coordinating fabrics that I bought together like from Connecting Threads.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:01 AM

I read your response and of course I now want to know how luvTooQuilt's system. Thanks.
Originally Posted by lynnsim
This is interesting reading, especially since I'm working at reorganizing my sewing room. I am lucky enough to have 2 closets with shelves and a wall cabinet that was a pantry before. In my closets, I have flannels, vintage, Christmas/Holiday, patriotic, Civil War, 1930s, novelty. Then in the pantry, I have them sorted by colors, with multi-colors all together.
I do believe that luvTooQuilt has the best system. I have my scraps not too organized; that's what I'm working on now.
Thanks for starting this thread!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:19 AM

And yet another post that makes me think about what I actually do. Thanks for that. I sort primarily by color BUT I separate flannels, juveniles, panels, some novelties in their own little categories and when I find fabrics that just need to be together in a quilt, I will match them up and keep them (in baskets) ready for a moment of inspiration. I guess you need to think about what you go looking for when you have a new quilt in mind and sort accordingly.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:41 AM

Imagine a rainbow..
That is how mine is organized.
Patterns are sorted into the mix by predominate color.

Holiday/Batiks/Homespun are separate and are sub sorted the same way.

Fat quarters are sorted into the rainbow and stored in a CD tower.

With the exception of fat quarters, all fabrics are on EZ Cores (see member M.I.Late)

up to 1 yard - small Cores
up to 2.5 yards - medium Cores
up to 4 yards - large Cores
over 4 yards - bolt Cores

Each size Core is in it's own rainbow.

I've just finished getting my ENTIRE stash on the Cores and have sorted them into 2 stainless steel rolling cabinets.

Just have to finish the rest of the Sewing Room makeover! :)
Old 06-13-2011, 12:58 PM

How I sort mine:

First, solids from prints, in fact, they're on different floors of the house!

The prints:

by main color BUT certain collections have their own shelf:
1. sewing theme
2. dog
3. animals
4. 30's prints
5 juvenile
6. patriotic
7. gingham
8. Christmas
9. Other holidays
10. Bugs
11. prints of shoes
12. lightweight denim-looking fabric
13. Hawaiian prints
14. fabrics that I bought as a group - they were next to each other at the store, and meant to 'go' together
15.African animal prints - due to my many basenji themed quilts
16 polka dots
17. Alaska theme
18. plaids

I'm sure there are others (those are only what I can recall from memory), and that list alone makes me realize it's not really an organized stash, is it?
Old 06-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

All I can say is WOW. I thought I was good by separating into seasonal, colors, baby, Christmas, etc. but you put me to shame. Oh well, whatever floats your boat. I get it organized, then I start working on a project, pull the fabrics out and then I get disorganized again. OH well. Some would say that I'm disorderly organized, but it works for me.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by KarenK
I predominantly work and store by color. Fabrics that are hand dyed, hand painted, 30's, batiks or Asian are stacked separately on a shelf. Fabric selected for specific projects are kept together. I've tried many different sorting systems and this is the best one so far.

It seems we each have to figure out the system that works best for us.
I do the same. It works best for me, too!
Old 06-13-2011, 05:14 PM

I have them separated by color if that is obvious, unless I bought something specifically to go with other fabrics. I have groups together that I have something "in mind" to use them for. I have a container filled with mainly florals or prints with many colors in them. I have all my large cuts stored together, unless they were bought to go with a specific group of fabrics or project. I buy mostly small pieces, so maybe someone who buys larger pieces has a better way for that type of stash.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:20 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by lynnsim
This is interesting reading, especially since I'm working at reorganizing my sewing room. I am lucky enough to have 2 closets with shelves and a wall cabinet that was a pantry before. In my closets, I have flannels, vintage, Christmas/Holiday, patriotic, Civil War, 1930s, novelty. Then in the pantry, I have them sorted by colors, with multi-colors all together.
I do believe that luvTooQuilt has the best system. I have my scraps not too organized; that's what I'm working on now.
Thanks for starting this thread!
Thanks.. Took a lil while to get things where I wanted them but after searching thrift stores and finding cd racks, clear tubs & sterilte drawers I was on my way..
Old 06-13-2011, 09:59 PM

I put them by color then I "play" with them and get them all messed up If I buy fabrics for a project I try to keep them together so I won't use it for something else. I can never keep fabrics organized. I never seem to have the right amt. of fabric for a project in my stash so I have go buy more. and of course I buy a little extra so I won't run out if I cut something wrong. On my I am a lost cause. If you figure out the correct way to do this please give me directions.