Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you set your borders??! >

How do you set your borders??!

How do you set your borders??!

Old 10-17-2008, 05:53 AM

I always do the sides first too, for the reason Judy stated about the amount of fabric. Even if I am using cornerstone blocks I do the sides first.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:54 AM

Sides on first for me. Reason- the books I've been using tell me to do it that way. :-)
Old 10-17-2008, 06:07 AM

If I am doing a square quilt I've gone around like you would a log cabin. I usually do sides then top & bottom also though.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:21 AM

It's a matter of preference....but I put sides on first. It's more eye appealing to me for the top and bottom border to extend to the edge of the quilt.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:23 AM

It's a matter of preference....but I put sides on first. It's more eye appealing to me for the top and bottom border to extend to the edge of the quilt. I've cut those darn borders a few times and ended up with borders too short...then I can always use those for the top and bottom and still have enough fabric.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Yes, I am with Katrine on that too. I put sides on first, just seems logical to me. Actually canīt see it matters which way you do it.

Have been told by those in high places that you put your border on after it is quilted.

Elle
Are you thinking of the binding? That goes on after quilting.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:57 AM

If I'm doing square corners on my borders, then I put the longer sides on first, whether it be the top and bottom, or the sides.

If I'm mitering corners, which is my preference, I just put two opposites on, then the other two, because there is NO way to tell in the end.

The square corners definitely look different.

Kara
Old 10-17-2008, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by jstitch
Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Yes, I am with Katrine on that too. I put sides on first, just seems logical to me. Actually canīt see it matters which way you do it.

Have been told by those in high places that you put your border on after it is quilted.

Elle
Hmmm Elle, I have never heard that one.. How high?...lol
Hmmmmm well I kinda meant those that have been quilting for 100 years or so.......and always know best, you know what I mean . LOL LOL
Old 10-17-2008, 07:45 AM

I think (now mind you, I'm not even close to being an expert) that the reason most people put the sides on first is that the quilts themselves are usually rectangular in shape, with the "long" edges being the sides. So if you put the sides on first (unless you are mitering), you will use less material than if you put the top and bottom on (length + width of border instead of just the length)

Did I explain my thought clearly enough? :oops:
Old 10-17-2008, 07:54 AM
Banned

Yes, you did, Lee, and that's probably true. But if I am making a horizontal wall hanging, no matter what the size, I still put the sides on first, for I want the top and bottom border pieces to go edge to edge. For me, it's all visual.