Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you shop? >
  • How do you shop?

• How do you shop?

Old 08-04-2019, 05:11 AM
    Power Poster

I'm not really a wise shopper. When I find a nice quilt shop somewhere I will buy whatever speaks to me. I always have some idea of what I'll spend but not a set amount. I don't usually buy for a project either.
    I honestly don't like large shops though. I get so overwhelmed that I have a hard time finding anything. I think it's just me though. Kind of overload.
    Old 08-04-2019, 05:35 AM

What makes it hard for me is the fact if you see fabric you “really really” love you *know* you have to buy it because they seldom reprint the fabric. So once it’s gone it’s gone...
    So....I usually buy more than I “need”...
    Old 08-04-2019, 05:41 AM
    Power Poster

I have learned that if it's a print that I "really love" - to get at least four yards of it (if available) - even at full price - because it may or may not be available - anywhere - ever again.
    Old 08-04-2019, 06:09 AM

Well, I joined the Fabric Moratorium because I am trying to reduce my fabric. I have given myself an exemption for Thrift Store fabric which is how I usually buy. It's $1-2 a yard typically and I have to take all of any given piece or I may have to buy an entire bag just to get what I want (bags usually are $4-10). Since you can't go out and find what you want I have to "shop ahead". But so far this year for "new" fabric I've bought a half yard of a print for a specific project and I bought about 20 yards at Walmart for $1/yard. BTW, one of the fabrics I got there is on sale for $8.50 a yard at an on-line shop right now...

But for fabric stores... it depends on your budget, your space, quilting style, and other things -- like sometimes we just gotta have it without the slightest idea of what to do with it. For me, I don't buy cuts under 1/2 yard because I've been the clerk before. 1/2 yard for me is a lot of fabric, but it isn't very usable for other people.

Just as a starting point, any given bed size quilt will take 10-12 yards of fabric. So I consider 3 yards a very generous piece able to do most anything I want. If it's going to be the background, then yes, 5-6 yards is reasonable.
    Old 08-04-2019, 06:24 AM

I love to shop hop and have even gotten DH into exploring new shops. I think the key is not to spend too long in a shop. I have a friend who spends hours in a shop and I don't shop with her ever. Anyway, when I shop hop, I think one yard of "glorious color" in a batik. I also look at precuts, preferably layer cakes. Then I purchase two one yard cuts of any coordinating fabric in that line. I always seem to need more of something to make a bigger quilt.

Hancock's of Paducah is a different story. When I went, I was with my sister and warned her it would be a while. She set me on the right track by saying, "I understand you are buying what you can't get at home." It opened my eyes, what could I not get at home? At that time, Neutral batiks. I purchased at least 50 yards of neutral batiks. All the same but all a little different. I have had the best time using those. I also purchased a few precuts. Since, it is over 9 hours away, I splurged. I have gone thru those batiks and it may be time to head back up there.
    Old 08-04-2019, 06:58 AM
    Power Poster

toverly, I think your sister had some great advice! I used to be like tuckyquilter, but have tempered my buying to fabrics that go with what I have and neutrals for backgrounds to use up the smaller cuts from days gone by.
    Old 08-04-2019, 07:24 AM
    Power Poster

It opened my eyes, what could I not get at home?

I have come to realize that the quilt shop is the best way to store most of my fabric.
    Old 08-04-2019, 08:28 AM

Very timely post as my sister and I are making a "pilgrimage" to Paducah for the fall quilt show next month and Hancocks is on our list. I already know that I'll experience sensory overload. With no particular project in mind, I think my best plan is to stick to neutrals and one or two pieces that scream at me to take them off the shelf!
    Old 08-04-2019, 08:44 AM

Yes that store is a destination. My husband drove me down several weeks ago because I wanted to go to the quilt museum. I ended up going to Hancock’s two times! The first time was just a general shopping trip where I loaded up a cart with bolts of fabric, getting 1 to 3 yard cuts. Then I realized later I never looked for striped fabric which I like for binding. So we went back the next day and bought more fabric. And, no, I don’t really need anything.
    Old 08-04-2019, 01:01 PM

I rarely get to go to a brick and mortar LQS anymore. But when I do it is dangerous to my pocket book all the way around. Just the smell of all the fabrics does something to me. I want to buy so many different things that I can't think. Just another reason for me to shop online. I can still get what I need or want and can be a bit more cautious in my shopping because I can look and see what I already have in my more than ample stash.
    Right now I am doing my best trying NOT to buy fabrics but I discover there is usually something I need for one reason or another. I was just putting some fabrics away in my studio a moment ago and came across a box with fabrics in it that I had forgotten came in the other day. Wham! I better watch what I am doing. I don't think there is a refined way to go into a place like Paducah's and even think about a budget. Just lock me in at night and let me play with all the fabric and come for me the next morning maybe then I could make a decision.