Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you shop? >

How do you shop?

How do you shop?

Old 08-03-2019, 06:50 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
Default How do you shop?

I just spent a delightful morning at Hancocks of Paducah while on a cruise up the Ohio River. That store is amazing, so much to choose from. I didn’t have a particular project in mind so I just went up and down the isles picking out fabric. I had only two ways of deciding what to buy. It had to be a reduced price or it had to be a neutral to help build my stash ( not that it needs building). Ok so there were a few picks which didn’t fit those criteria but have you seen that store?!?
Now my question is how do you shop given this kind of opportunity? How much do you buy? I bought 1 to 3 yards of each. I would love to hear from you all how to be a wise shopper. What works for you?
Oh and the store owners even drove us back to our boat! Talk about customer service!
Old 08-03-2019, 09:34 PM

1 yd, if it fits with other fabric I already have, 2 yds if I like it. 3-5 yds . or at least this is how I "used" to shop. I'm only buying things to finish current projects or a color I use all the time.. I use a lot of very pale pastel gray swirls by Moda. I get a bunch of fabric from friends as I'm primarily a Scrap quilter. I have to much yardage. Just a SABLE kind of gal (stash accumulation beyond life expectancy). I open my bins up to friends too. Sometimes a friend needs something I already have.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-04-2019 at 03:15 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-03-2019, 09:57 PM

Terry, because I didn't 'need' any more fabric, I followed the 'reduced' or 'neutral' rule when I visited Shipshewana a couple of years ago. I still returned with 43yds and came in only 400g under the weight limit for my suitcase on the plane home!
Old 08-03-2019, 11:45 PM

When I travel and hit quilt shops, I buy the fabric that "calls my name". Sometimes, it's just a whisper, and sometimes it screams at me. Those are the pieces that at that particular moment, I have to have. I was telling that to a friend who has a huge stash, and she laughed and asked me "how do you think my stash got so big?" She knew exactly what I meant, and the feeling certain fabrics evoke.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:03 AM
Power Poster

Love Hancocks online ordering--never disappointed
Old 08-04-2019, 04:18 AM

I have a wonderful stash and could stay home and sew for the remainder of my life but I am a collector of things I love and this includes fabric! I basically love scrappy quilts made from 30’s and Civil War reproduction and could get by with fat quarters. Notice I said “could”! I always check the sale racks where I purchase 5 to 6 yards for quilt backs. I seldom make quilts larger than a standard bed size. I have some quilt shop friends and while I say I really shouldn’t buy a scrap I come home with another arm load. I happily share with friends if I have what they need and I do quite a bit of charity sewing. That said, I will never run out of fabric and very seldom really need any to make a quilt. On occasion I have to purchase some background fabrics as neutrals don't speak to me as a rule. I don’t buy a lot online but when I do, Hancock’s is where I look first and I am never disappointed.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:21 AM

The first trip I made to Hancocks I was so overwhelmed that I think I left with nothing. I usually have to have something in mind before buying. But, sometimes those special pieces just call and I have to buy. Usually 2 - 3 yards if it will be a focus fabric
Old 08-04-2019, 04:28 AM

I love going to a 'new to me' quilt shop because every shop has it's own flavor. But, I try to stick to my rule of buying only what I need. Well, I don't need much so I resist and don't buy much.

For that occasional fabric that I truly fall in love with, I buy 3 1/2 yds. There's nothing more frustrating than to go to my stash and find that the fabric I want to use in a quilt is 1/2 yard short of what I need. And, you never know what you need until you're ready to make the quilt. That's why I don't just buy fabric willy nilly. I have a modest stash but it serves me well. If you've quilted for over 30 years like I have, you've got stash!
Old 08-04-2019, 04:35 AM

Like the others have said, my sewing room is overflowing. So, I've only needed fabrics to finish a project, specific colors and shades or fabric to start a whole new project. Like I need another project started.
I buy mostly batiks. And mostly online.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

If no project in mind, I buy the fabric I like and no less then three yards. I go to Hancock's of Paducah once a year at the quilt show but very seldom buy fabric there. If you go the first day, early, there are specialty rulers cheap in the back room. Every year so far I have found hard to find templates and rulers there. You walk in the back room they are always on your right mixed in with patterns and such in boxes on shelves. They get overlooked as most head for the fabric tables on the left.