Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you sort your....... >

How do you sort your.......

How do you sort your.......

Old 07-15-2009, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by bearpaw
The Quilt Show just had a great idea in their recent newsletter.

Scroll down about half way -

http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/newsletters.php
That's a great idea! And so pretty too.

I have all my scraps in a big rubbermaid tub. Not sorted at all. But I have to admit I love "diving" into it on occasion just to play with the pieces. I'm like a kid in a candy store. :D
Old 07-16-2009, 05:36 AM

One of my friends used those little pieces to created a strip of fabric about 18 inches wide. When she has a goodly amount, then she cuts her blocks from the created fabric. she calls quilts made with this fabric "Under the table" since that is where she tosses her scraps. She has a huge table in her studio. I assume there are some boxes collecting the fabric! :)
She is not putting them on a foundation--just sewing pieces together until she gets aprox the width she wants. She had two quilts in our quilt show.
She used solid fabric with her scrappy fabric.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:59 AM

I sort by color... not nearly organized enough to cut my scraps into squares. The stay whatever size they are and get put in the appropriate bin.

One for red/pinks, blue, white, purple and green (together because there's not as much of those), etc...

My stash stays small because kids and friends are allowed to "shop" here.

Have a quilty day,
Kara
Old 07-16-2009, 06:54 AM

if it's smaller than a fat 1/8, it's a scrap. how do i sort them?

this is trick question, isn't it?
Old 07-16-2009, 08:49 AM

Mine are sorted by color. Fat quarter sizes (approximately) are in plastic shoe boxes, yardages are sorted dark or light with a note pinned to them telling how much is there. Then for the tiny scraps, they are in a storage container that is made up of small drawers and sorted by colors. I use those for paper-piecing.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:00 AM

go to quiltville.com, she has some great ideas and great quilt patterns for scraps..all free.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:12 AM

Good put me on your mailing list then!!! LOL
Old 07-16-2009, 12:33 PM

I put them in plastic see thru shoe boxes by color, they stack nicely on a shelf.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by quiltluvr
Originally Posted by Boston1954
SORT??? Gee are we supposed to do that? I toss everything together and then when I want something, I spend about half an hour looking.
LOL!! I'm all for whatever works!

Don't ask why, but another thing that I think I'll attempt for no apparent reason, is any trimmings, like no wider than 1/4" or so, I wanna put into a clear jar to use as a decoration. Again, don't ask why. :P
You knew I would! <g>
I was making a ton of HST one year, and I was really getting upset by all the "bunny ears" I was cutting off. It happened that my daughter had done some canning and happened to empty out the cutest little 1/2 pint jar ... or, it might have been a pint ... I started scooping all of the dog ears/bunny ears into that jar. It now is a decoration on my shelf <g>
so, see? You are quite normal! LOL
Old 07-16-2009, 06:46 PM

When I am making snowballs, or those angles where you have a corner and a square ... stitch and cut away the outside triangle?
I resisted sewing them together, thinking I would do something else with them, but finally ... while we were sewing, my friend and I did the "move over half an inch, stitch, then cut the teeny little HST away for another project.
Well, the other project did come along .. in the form of twenty five HST stitched together to use as a sampler.
On the mystery quilt we just finished, we sew a two inch square on to the corner ... I flipped the left over triangle back to see how big it would be if I made it into a HST ... now, I have a BUNCH of them! They will show up in some scrap quilt I make ... I put them in the middle of the crumb cake or a long side of something just to change an angle .. when they are that small, it is best to put them in the middle of a log cabin or something.