Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you starch fabric? >

How do you starch fabric?

How do you starch fabric?

Old 03-02-2014, 09:39 AM

If I have ALOT of fabric to do, I soak it in 50/50 water starch mixture , squeeze it to get out excess then hang it to dry, then iron.

If I am only working with a few pieces I use spray starch. Spray it on one side of the fabric, flip the fabric over and iron on the opposite side. Once I have ironed that side dry I spray that side, flip it over and iron the opposite side again. This way I am never ironing on the side that I sprayed on. No flakes !
Old 03-02-2014, 09:39 AM

Thanks everyone who said to let the starch soak in. When I saw this, I thought of course I know how to starch but apparently no, I didn't!

When I was growing up, we ironed everything, sheets, pillowcases, dish towels, my dad's boxer shorts! And my mom spritzed things with water and kept a plastic bag in the refrigerator. Boy things have changed!.....or not!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

If you try to iron a soppingly wet starched piece, stretching is a possibility.i
Old 03-02-2014, 10:16 AM

Thank you so much for asking this question. I have starch sitting on my shelf, unused, because I wasn't quite sure how best to use it. As always, this group of great quilters is always willing and ready with the answers!
Old 03-02-2014, 10:50 AM

I just went through a "starching phase." In the end, I decided that I didn't like using starch. The starch changes the feel of the fabric and I love to feel the fabric while quilting. I did, however, find starching useful when working with cheap or thin fabrics, or when I have a lot of difficulty putting a block together or have tiny pieces. But I now just use Best Press when I need it as I don't need to wait for the starch to get absorbed by the fabric.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:34 PM

I use magic sizing and just spray it and iron it. I don't time it or wait or let it dry or put it in a bag. If it's not stiff enough I repeat it. I don't have patience to wait.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:40 PM

Coming from an Heirloom background I used a LOT of starch for sewing techniques. The way I was taught was multiple layers. Spray just until damp, with your hands kind of press/pat the starch into the fabric, let it stand for a few moments so the starch can penetrate the fabric fibres, then press on the other side of the fabric. Letting the starch penetrate the fabric and pressing on the opposite side you sprayed will alleviate the starch sticking to your iron and won't leave all the flakiness because the starch has penetrated the fabric fibres. HTH
Old 03-02-2014, 12:43 PM

I really like to cut stiff fabric. I spray my fabric with a heavy starch, then put the fabric in a plastic bag. This goes into the freezer for several hours or overnight. If the fabric is not stiff enough when I am ironing it, I spray again, wait a few minutes and iron. If I am pressing fabric that had been sewn, I use Mary Ellen's Best Press. I love Best Press and use it by the gallon!
Old 03-02-2014, 12:52 PM

What does the freezer do? Doesn't the frozen starch just thaw when the hot iron hits it? My dh and kids would probably be very confused if they went to get a snack and a bag of fabric was in there. LOL
Old 03-02-2014, 12:53 PM

There are great u tube videos
Somone the other day posted one about using starch to baste q locks she also had a great one on starch I learned to spray and turn it over to iron. I can`t find this one. Maybe someone remembers.
Ga