Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You stitch on oversized quilts? >

How Do You stitch on oversized quilts?

How Do You stitch on oversized quilts?

Old 01-08-2023, 04:55 AM

It sounds like the only solution for you is to stop making big quilts. If that isn't an option then you'll have to get rid of some stuff or reorganize your room. Maybe think about shelving that goes up the wall to make some more floor space. I think it would be a lot easier for you if you could pull the machine away from the wall and use a folding table behind it. When you're done it can all be put back up against the wall.
Old 01-08-2023, 05:35 AM

rjwilder, I already have shelves up on the wall for all my fabrics. Most all my threads on hanging on pegboard. I'm stuck with what I have and the space I have to use. Pinning the pleats and folding again wasn't too bad so will continue to use that method. As to stop making large quilts, well all my quilts are gifts to others. Right now I'm working on those in my congregation. I ask them what size they'd like, style and colors. Then I put their name in a basket and when I'm ready to make another quilt, then I pull from the basket. So far my name hasn't come up so my beds don't have quilts on them. I do have the quilt to and an oversized lap quilt top waiting to be quilted for the spare bedroom though. Some quilts were made out of order cause I just wanted to make that pattern. My sister grabbed 3 of them for her beds and she's been waiting for them to be quilted since 2016.
Old 01-08-2023, 11:22 AM

Put your quilt together by quarters. Quilt the quarters, leave 1/2" around where you will sew top and bottom together. Somewhere there is a utube about this method.
Old 01-08-2023, 11:37 AM

could you quilt without borders, quilt borders then sew together?
Old 01-08-2023, 12:33 PM

Thank you for you question. I can only imagine how full your sewing area is - mine is pretty close and I don't have a long arm. Usually I don't make anything larger than a full sized quilt. But last month I made a queen size quilt top (I sent it off to be quilted). But I had to get it together and the backing too (found the best flannel for the back). It was a royal battle, even doing it in sections. I do have a travel machine, it didn't occur to me to set it up on the kitchen table to do the final seams - but from now on, that is what I will do. My travel machine is a Singer Featherweight from 1947, so it will be able to handle it.
Old 01-08-2023, 04:08 PM

I got a couple of those plastic folding 6-8 foot tables, they just fold up so nice and are leaning against the wall in the basement. They are light enough to carry and set up when needed.