Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Talking about Pin Cushions.  What's your favorite? >

Talking about Pin Cushions. What's your favorite?

Talking about Pin Cushions. What's your favorite?

Old 12-15-2022, 01:37 PM

Default Talking about Pin Cushions. What's your favorite?

I like a large heavy pin cushion with emery sand in it to keep my pins sharp. I have four of these that I keep scattered around my quilting stations. Peavy Tailor Emery 20 oz. Pin Cushion
Old 12-15-2022, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

I like pin cushions and making pin cushions, but for daily sewing I use a magnetic dish. Can't be bothered to stick individual pins into a cushion!
Old 12-15-2022, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

My favorite one for hand sewing is one I made with black wool and a halloween jack o lantern pumpkin applique. It is about five inch round and filled with walnut shells and sits right where you put it. I bought the pattern on line. It was supposed to be attached inside a tiny milk glass bowl . But, I found I liked it better alone.
I used to sew garments alot and I loved my wrist one for that. But, like sewbizgrl I use the magnetic one for quilting and piecing.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 12-15-2022 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-15-2022, 03:32 PM

Love the magnetic ones! I can drip them right onto the magnet.
Old 12-15-2022, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

. I use pins on my design wall a lot. I have a fabric pincushion with velcro on the bottom. It sticks to my design wall, so convenient.
Old 12-15-2022, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

I used the magnetic ones for a long time, but lately I prefer real pincushions. I particularly like the Ewesful wool pincushions, but I have a number of other types of pincushions scattered around the house. I even have a tomato one that must be at least 60 years old.
Old 12-16-2022, 03:22 AM

I love my gadget pincushion because it functions as so much more...it holds my phone while I listen to podcasts as I quilt,
There are 3 loops to hold my scissors, seam ripper and stiletto's. Of course you choose what to place in the loops. Sometimes its a marking pen, depending on what I'm working on. The makers of the pattern make it so much fun to put together. Below is the link to where I found the pattern. There may be a video tutorial as well.
ps. my option to attach a picture with the paper clip has an X, so I can't upload a photo of the one I made.

https://quiltsmart.com/gadget-cushion/
Old 12-16-2022, 05:25 AM

I love the gadget cushion, I made 10 of them last year for holiday gifts.
Old 12-16-2022, 06:52 AM

I use my wool one, it still has a bit of the lanolin from the wool in it. I don't know how they make them. It has many different colors in it and sort of looks like a cinnamon roll. Maybe compressed wool roving?
Ahh! Just did a search, they are called "felted wool pincushions, saw some neat ones including some that look like grey rocks)

Last edited by sewingpup; 12-16-2022 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-16-2022, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

My very favorite is a wool one I got in Paducah years ago. But I mostly use a magnetic dish. I love them. I don't like that one that's like a big square that supposedly puts back the pins all in the same place. I find it too cumbersome.