Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Talking about Pin Cushions.  What's your favorite? >

Talking about Pin Cushions. What's your favorite?

Talking about Pin Cushions. What's your favorite?

Old 12-16-2022, 12:30 PM

I got one at a retreat made in a ramekin. It does not roll away from my work area. Love it
Old 12-16-2022, 01:46 PM

I don't have a favorite. I use magnetic ones a lot, but I've also got one of those wool balls....pins keep getting lost in there.
Most unusual ones I use a lot - one I keep next to my fave workhorse machine is a bit of packing styrofoam. Yeah I said it. It is about
3" x 3" x 6" and it holds my stiletto, about a dozen pins, a few safety pins, my ripper, a skewer loaded with bobbins -just to keep them handy for the current project, and a needle threader stuck down with a quilting pin.

I also use a scrubby sponge loaded with pins . That is pinned to my design board with a large quilting pin. (My design board is a 4x8 sheet of insulation board covered with felt, then batting.

I love making pin cushions too.

My favorite home made one is a sweet tea cup and saucer...the saucer looks like a lily pad, and the teacup looks like a little fish-his tail is the handle. I love finding unusual cups, jars and other vessels to turn into pin cushions. Recycling lids makes cute pin cushions for the finger or wrist or a broach sort of pin holder.

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 12-16-2022 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-17-2022, 05:13 AM

Magnetic dish for me also!
Old 12-17-2022, 07:21 AM

My favourite looks like a dome and is filled with something kind of soft - I think it must be poly batting. It was made for me by someone on this board. It seems it's always in the wrong spot; over at the pinning table when I'm sewing or by the machine when I'm pinning. I was gifted a second pin cushion but it has embroidery on it which makes it hard to push pins through so I have to watch where I put the pins, a seemingly small thing to do but one more thing when zooming through a project. I also have a magnetic bowl but don't like it as well. Truthfully, I still don't have what I would consider the "perfect" pin cushion.
Old 01-04-2023, 12:09 AM

I love my Zirkle magnetic but about to make a new one that can hold my tools and clips as well just waiting for the fabric to come in
Old 01-04-2023, 03:20 AM

My current favorite is a small rectangular one filled with walnut shells. It's light so I can carry it around but heavy enough not to move when I set it down. I used to use a magnetic one but hated that everything stuck to it and that the pins would sometimes maintain their magnetism after leaving it.
Old 01-04-2023, 04:32 AM

I have my magnet nested in a tupperware. I can put a lid on for transport, and when I drop it, pins don't go everywhere. I mostly use wonder clips, but for precise seam matching, only pins will do.
Old 01-05-2023, 01:04 PM

I have two favorite pin chshions. A litle red one that I made two weeks ago and stuffed with walnut shells, a ribbon ties it to the back of my pieching machine. Can't tell you how handy this is. The second one is a Minion (Bob?) that I bought at Walmart and then hot glued into a metal ice crean dish from the thrift store. Bob has the honor of being the pin cushion for my midarm quilting machine. Unfortunately I had to take the machine in the house from the three season porch because it's freezing out there. Bob will get a work out in the spring again.
Old 01-08-2023, 06:19 PM

Mine was also a magnetic round one but it has been sent to pincushion heaven as it broke so I put it back together and it broke again but I put it back together once more. A third time it broke apart but this time it shattered. I still have the magnet but not certain what one I should make to rehome the magnet in.