Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do YOU stop buying fabrics? >

How do YOU stop buying fabrics?

How do YOU stop buying fabrics?

Old 01-24-2013, 03:15 PM

Dodged a bullet today when I deleted the LQS e-mail regarding buy 15 fat quarters/get 15 free mostly because I had spent several hours organizing my fat quarter stash last weekend and KNOW that I don't need more fat quarters at this time...or charm packs, etc. It's January 24 and I haven't bought any fabric in 2013.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:46 PM

I've passed up a couple of great sales, but have also placed a couple of orders, so it's kind of a wash. Love the new Deb Strain line, Seascape, and the patterns that Coach House Designs has made for it. We have a condo in FL that this will be perfect for on the wall. So... I didn't order all of the fabrics it calls for, but some (the shells, for example) can't be replaced by just anything.

And then there is the "Items for Sale" section here... I'm helping out a fellow member, lol. Plus real good price!

In all seriousness, though, I am at least waiting a few days before buying anything I see. Sometimes just a bit of time can cool that desire. And, like many, I realize that when I'm retired, I won't have the ability to buy as much as I can right now.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:49 PM

Oh, peaceandjoy, I'll have to check out that fabric. I love seashells.I was going to post that I haven't bought any fabric (or yarn)in the new year but now....
Old 01-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mighty View Post
You are not alone!!! Nothing stops us but an empty wallet! LOL
lol, that was going to be my answer...you run out of money, bc one things for sure: quilters love fabric and can't get enough of the warm fuzzies that abound when we are shopping for it!
P.S. on a more serious note, I did have to dig down deep and convince myself that I was on a slippery slope with my fab addiction.
Two things helped: I did run out of funds and I ran out of room. If this helps, I also learned that is you keep fabric too long, the weight on shelves or in tubs can cause permanet creasing.
This keeps me busy refolding! That is why I do or did have a comment in my tag line about stuff you accumulate takes caring for. A LOT of caring for
Best of luck to ya...tell a friend that can help you get a grip without making you nuts.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:55 PM

Your not alone. I spent some time the last couple of days going thru fabric and trying to organize it I keep finding more and today some of the really small pieces I actually threw out from frustration going thru everything and no where's near done yet. I'm trying to organize my sewing area and also need to make room in the drawers in the guest room my son will be staying a few wks with us since he finally got a job not far from here. He and his wife will be looking to rent a place nearby so I need to get done soon since I think it's this coming wk he'll be coming. I keep telling me not to buy fabric but it just calls me. I also delete the fabric e-mails lately so I'm not tempted and I am ignoring Joanne's great coups since most stuff is on sale anyway. I figure if I stay away from there I have a chance to use what I have and stop looking on line maybe I can finally win. Good luck to you also. Sue
Old 01-24-2013, 03:56 PM

Maralyn I love your avatar it reminds me of Thomas Kincade pics. It is just so pretty. Sue
Old 01-24-2013, 04:50 PM

I haven't read this thread. I can't -- it hurts every time I see the title. I'm thinking of retiring this year and that will mean curtailing my buying. I just started stash building 6 months ago and can't bear the idea of stopping. Maybe I should work another year...
Old 01-24-2013, 05:44 PM

fo me it was running out of money lol
Old 03-25-2013, 11:23 PM
TamiSavage

Really..why and how any one can stop buying fabrics..nowadays empty wallet is not a problem anymore. So many offers are going on online and in the retail store also..just go online and search for the coupons.. and grab the offers.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:21 AM

I suggest what we all need is a minder who we ring when we are about to buy fabric to stop us just like a alcoholic rings somebody. I have a feeling who ever we rin will not stop us there is no hope for fabraholics. Welcome to the club.