Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do YOU stop buying fabrics? >

How do YOU stop buying fabrics?

How do YOU stop buying fabrics?

Old 01-13-2013, 08:02 AM

You are not alone. I am desperately trying to only use my stash...I know I have enough for the rest of my life! I do love the idea of making kits. Hmmmmm....maybe so!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

Every now and then I tell myself I'm not going to buy fabric until I used up most of what I have. I feel good about the decision until I think Why? I can always give fabric away if I feel overwhelmed with too much. I give lots of fabric to make donation quilts to my guild. Other members do the same usually after a fabric buying spree we decide to have regularly. Our guild is running out of room to keep the fabric! I like buying fabric so I don't see any reason to pass up fabric that is beautiful.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:46 AM

I really feel your pain - I have been suffering too. It's so hard because some fabrics are only available for a limited time - if you don't get it now - it may not be there later. I must admit that I am completely addicted to Moda pre-cuts - I can't get enough of them - I have several and I use them alot but I keep buying more. Sometimes my problem is I don't want to cut my beautiful fabric - I am waiting for the perfect pattern to use them - (heavy sigh.....) Well, I am getting better about using my fabrics but I am trying to resist all the new pre-cuts.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:35 AM

seriously-prayer! God cares what I do with His money.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:38 AM

I am reorganizing my space this week so that I can be more efficient when I do have time to sew. I have a big four shelf unit in the closet and found that the 15 quart sterility bins will fit four to a shelf. Now I just need to find more of them! Looking at my fabric is reminding me of how much I already own. I'm also staying out of my LQS for the time being. Can't be tempted if I can't see it!
Old 01-13-2013, 12:06 PM

What I'm trying to do is use the fabric I have with the exception of buying muslin for backing. I just started using muslin and love it. I'm making table runners too. It's fun experimenting with different color combinations and learning to use the color wheel. AND, if the runner doesn't come out as pretty or and nice if I thought it would then I'm only out a small part of my stash...I don't have a large stash since I've been quilting for 2 years. Recently I took all my fabric out of bins, refolded it and put it in a cabinet. I came across fabric in my stash I hadn't seen for awhile and forgot I had it...I thought to myself "I really like this fabric!" Then thought "Of course you do...you bought it!" Someone said earlier making it kind of a game may help....that's what I'm trying to do...both my husband and I are retired .. we're okay with money as long as WE don't overspend
Old 01-13-2013, 12:08 PM

run out of money
Old 01-13-2013, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by garysgal View Post
seriously-prayer! God cares what I do with His money.
And I am grateful that so many of us chose to buy fabric and donate quilts to worthy causes. We are really awesome and I am quite sure are a blessing to many.

I moved from MD to Arizona in December and all that packing---yikes. But I donated quite a bit to guild friends and brought what I really love and is a good quality. When my piles start getting too small for me, I will buy more. I know how much I like having and how much feels like too much.

I shop sales carefully and would never use money that should be for bills or other things. There is a quilt shop here that has fabric for $1.50 a YARD----great for backings. They also have alot for $3.50 and their regular price is $6.95 a yard. It is called Mulqueens and a big blessing for those of us that make many charity quilts.

You could think about setting a budget for each month. For me it is $40 on my income. Some months I buy none and then can carry over that amount to the next month. I never bring a credit card to a quilt show and when my cash is gone---that is it.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:24 PM

You are not alone. There are many ways to stop but....why would you want to?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:46 PM

I have been keeping away from quilt stores. I just figure that I have enough material to last me a lifetime.

Pat in MN