Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you stop and start your quilting? >

How do you stop and start your quilting?

How do you stop and start your quilting?

Old 05-28-2013, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
I bury as I go for areas that show.
You're a poet and don't know it. LOL

I bury, also.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:17 AM

I leave lots of thread on the back, then put a knot in those two top and bottom threads, about an inch up from the quilt and bury them in the quilt. All the threads I cut off I put in my flower gardens, the birds use them when nesting. (Every couple of years we take the bird houses apart and clean them out, repaint and put them back - they need doing again this year, [ATTACH=CONFIG]415907[/ATTACH] that is how I know they use the threads).
Attached Thumbnails tn_p1000476-bird-houses.jpg  
Old 05-28-2013, 12:24 PM

Depends on what I'm sewing. If it's utilitarian, I back stitch. Show quilt, I bury the knot. At the edge, I quilt off the front and let it be caught in the binding. FMQ, stitch in one place and start with tight stitches. I'm into "get er done".
Old 05-28-2013, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by patchsamkim View Post
I take several very short stitches (3-4) and then cut the threads off. Have never had a seam undone. If I was going to make a quilt for a competition, then I would bury the threads.

Unfortunately, most machines that have a "locking stitch" only stitch in the same place, and if you cut that off, you lose the locking, that is why I use the several short stitches.
This is exactly what I do. My Juki's thread cutter cuts the ends nice and short... then I go back with my curved scissor and snip them.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:17 AM

I've buried threads in the past, but with my ADD this made me absolutely crazy. I've decided for non-competition quilts, especially these first few that I'm learning on, I'm going with the method of pull the bobbin thread to the top, make 1/4 inch of micro stitches, clip the threads, then move on to a more regular stitch length. For ending, the technique I learned this weekend is similar - 1/4 inch of micro stitches, then move the quilt over (~1/8-1/4 inch) and tug on the top thread to pop the bobbin thread up - and trim the bobbin thread loop (no need to pull much of the bobbin thread up - just enough to clip) and trim the top thread. That way I don't have to did around under the quilt to clip the bobbin thread.

I'm sewing mainly on my Bernina 830 Record and don't have a backstitch.

Cheers, K