Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: How do you store cutting mats?

I forgot about the cutting mat/ironing board (June Taylor) that started my hanging cutting mats in the first place! Now, I am trying to figure out how many cutting mats do I really own??? Don't recommend the June Taylor board anymore, just because if you ever really USE the ironing section, the cutting mat starts separating from the ironing section ... but, the handle that you carry the board with, and which I use two pegboard hangers to suspend it straight, is a very good idea.

Under the bed would be an excellent place to store them.

I store mine behind the desk or dresser and the wall in my room (as long as there's no heating unit there). It's upright and flat. No warping.

My husband and daughter are very good at "helping" me and moving them. They cannot seem to get the idea that they must remain flat or they will be ruiened. I think I have flipped out on them enough now that I have them scared to touch them. LOL

joy

store under the bed.... couldn't get a flatter surface than that..... out of sight, out of mind while I do other things.

The smaller one I hang up on a hanger with clothes pins.
    The larger one I stand up behind my bookshelf. (It's too heavy for the hanger).

I hang mine on skirt hangers at the end of a cupboard. The really big one takes 2 hangers. Works a treat!

just want to say I love the picture of the old house and looks like an old store....could you email me the picture?

some are hanging on wall.an i have a couple of them on my sewing table.an my hubby got me a couple of zippered casesthat are 36inch square that i put stincles an smaller items in.i have my aunt tole painting patterns that she used when she done tole painting.an i treasure them because i never no when we'll not have her here any longer an i also like to paint an play with it once in awhile.

i used a warm iron an layed something flaton top until it got cooled off it wasn't the first time i warpped one

I have three mats. One is a big 'en. The next is the size of my dryer top, since my laundry is in my sewing room. the tiny little 12X12 is for little tiny cuts to trim when I PP. Golly - can a girl have TOO many?

Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    I store mine in the closet next to the my new streched canvas that is waiting to be painted.
    Penny

That is such a brilliant idea ! My lovely husband is good at solving most problems but this will save him brain storming time. I really need a revolving board to cut out minature quilts and that will solve the problem. What a great site this is !. Love, Letty

Quote Originally Posted by Letty
    That is such a brilliant idea ! My lovely husband is good at solving most problems but this will save him brain storming time. I really need a revolving board to cut out minature quilts and that will solve the problem. What a great site this is !. Love, Letty
    What did I miss? What idea is brilliant?

Blog Entries
    My 2 large and 1 med. cutting boards are stored under the dining room table protective pad. This keeps them out of the way and protected. Also, when I happen to need them for cutting a large project, there they are under the table pad on the table I'll be using. My dinner guests don't suspect that my boards are under their plates!

I have an idea for the rotating mat! I purchased a lazy susan...you know the big ones they use to put on the tables and were made heavy duty...from a garage sale....then I glued an old cutting mat on it and trimmed it to the size of the lazy susan. Works great!....another way is to purchase a heavy duty lazy susan mechanism from maybe a wood working store, and a piece of plywood screwed to it. Anyway, give it a try...it would not cost as much as already made.

I keep my 24 x 36 on my cutting table, my 12 x 18 on the "drawer" of my sewing cabinet for those small trimmings, my 5 1/2 x7 1/2 is also in that pull out "drawer" My 40 x 60 is behind my china cabinet in the dining room, I don't use that one very much any more, too much trouble to clear off dining room table to use that big thing. I also have one that is on a "lazy susan" type thing and that is in my cabinet, it is large enough to trim up 12" blocks.
    The 24x36 is used constantly!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3