Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store cutting mats? >

How do you store cutting mats?

How do you store cutting mats?

Old 04-24-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i am re-cycling a dresser that was 'found' on the side of the road. it has big, wide drawers. ugly as all get-out, but it holds all my cutting mats and my revolving one that dh made for me. my mat is the big one.

we bought a lazy susan base at home depot, very sturdy. he attached a plywood square to it. in my case 16 or 18 inches (?). glued on the cheapest mat we could find that covered that wood. voila! a HEAVY duty revolving mat. HEAVY being the operative word, here. boy, can you lean on this baby!
WOW! Another great idea! We have some ingenious quilters out there. Can't forget those DH's too.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:59 PM

Big one is on my cutting table at the moment and small one hanging on a hanger in the closet in my sewing room--it's cleaned up at the moment cause the kids are here for tonight at least. Sewing room is also their room when they come.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:09 AM

The tip is to gather enough "stuff" that you need to have two of those three drawer rolling things that all the big box stores sell. Then you butt them up against each other, and store the mats, standing up, in between.

Or, if you have a knee space in your sewing area, as in a desk w/ sewing on top, put one of the rolling thingy's against the knee area, all the way to the back, then put the mats between the thingy and the desk.

I really have to get the camera back from DH (and charge it, probably) and get some pics...

But I think the real trick is to get enough stuff together first.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by JANW
Originally Posted by kwhite
I have cutting mats and need to find a way to store them so that they do not warp. How do you store your mats flat?
Does anyone know a trick to take a warp out? I accidently ironed over mine.
What have you tried and how has it worked?
Old 04-25-2009, 07:09 AM

i heard - but won't promise - that you can lay very hot, wet towels on the mat. lay the mat on a flat surface, apply the towels and let them work their magic. repeat until it's flat.

i would also think - but won't promise - that you could steam it flat again. a little at a time. don't touch the mat with the iron.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:12 AM

I have heard - not tested - that if you place it under a sheet of glass (like a window pane) in the sun and let it get hot and then cool, it will flatten.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:18 AM

it seems that the key here is heat. that's what spoiled it, that's what can repair it.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:23 AM

If not on my cutting table it under it on the flat floor!! Or under my ironing table, on the floor.
I never keep them in the car. With my brain, I'll forget it and it will be all warpy when I find it!!
I need to get back to stitching my binding down on a baby quilt I'm finishing.

Have a wonderful weekend.
simple quilter
Old 04-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kwhite
LOL redrummy I am primarily a costumer. I do have the quilt mats away a good bit of the time when I am working on garments. This week I have made a chamise, knickers, armor and boots.
you want to hear something funny?...well, to me....I have been sewing for 41 plus years, and quilting for two of those...I use my mat constantly, bc I forget that if I am not using a rotary cutter, I don't have to have the mat.
Also, as a side note, just read, that you are not supposed to bear down hard, on your rotary cutter. If it ain't doin it's cuttin job, you are supposed to replace blade or cutter, bc you can damage your mat. I didn't know that. :wink:
Did I say, mine are never put away, lol? If for some reason I did need to, I would hang on hooks somewhere in my cave, but I will NEVER forget and press somethings near edge of it again. warped it a tiny little bit, just enough to scare the hoo-ey outa me. Paid good money for that baby!!! I shudder to think of the total of all my toys. :oops:
Old 04-29-2009, 02:54 AM

I store mine in a plastic bag lying flat under my bed.