Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you store fabric strips?

Senior Member MomtoBostonTerriers's Avatar
    I have been cutting my fabric scraps into strips (a la Bonnie Hunter) and wonder how I should store them until I get those quilts made. I'm starting out cutting 1.5", 2", and 2.5" strips. I have all colors mixed together by strip width. Right now I have them in neat, ironed stacks all over my cutting table.

Do you have a system for storing these strips that works well? Please tell me what to do so I can get my table cleared off and get to work sewing!

Blog Entries
    I haven't done mine yet, but was thinking I would use one of those hangars that holds 5-6 pairs of pants. Kind of like the one pictured here. Then I could sort by color and make it easier to grab what I want.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8819305121961317036&sa=X&ei=obJHTq3NIMiftgfjltHZBQ&ved=0CGQQ8wIwAQ

I roll mine up like jelly rolls that way you can pack them into a drawer or shoe box. the plastic bags that sheets or doona covers come in are very good for keeping them all together neatly and you can see at a glance what is in them

I store mine in plastic see through containers. The longer the better that way there's less creasing in my strips. I don't have many strips though, I don't cut fabric until I know the pattern I'm doing. But occasionally, like this week I cut way to many strips for what I was doing. Now I'm looking for a pattern to use up all these strips I've cut. All of my fabric is in cabinets or in closed storage, No sunlight or dust damage that way.

I just have mine in containers for now.

I don't store strips (unless you can count the strips along with all other scraps crammed into my overstuffed scrap bag 'storing') but I'm using a pizza box to store bits of a project I'm working on. Yes, it's an unused pizza box :)

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    I don't store strips (unless you can count the strips along with all other scraps crammed into my overstuffed scrap bag 'storing') but I'm using a pizza box to store bits of a project I'm working on. Yes, it's an unused pizza box :)
    That is so cool!

Unfortunately, I have around 20 of those pink tubs you get at the hospital. And they are quite handy, especially for storing strips! I have 6 I think, full of strips and sorted by color groups. I keep them close to my machine so I can just toss in strips as I get them.

I roll mine like the ones in the shops. Then I tie a string of yarn or scrap around the cricumference of it so it doesn't come undone.

I store mine in clear shoe boxes sorted by color, not size.

Blog Entries
    I pick up flat 3" plastic food containers at the dollar tree and I can stor 4 nice fat rolls in each and they stack mine are 12" square. For$1.00 it's the best storage I can find and they look good all stacked up.

I bouught a rickety, old quilt rack at a garage sale and store my strips by color, draped over the horizontal rods. To keep them from slipping off, I use big plastic hair clips. Keeps them sorted and unwrinkled.

I sort by width, then I sort them by background color, stack them all neat in a pile, then kind of soft fold them, then put them in a 2 gallon baggie. I have the baggie labeled as to what size strips. I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas from the board.

Blog Entries
    Roll them like a jelly roll

Blog Entries
    Ditto......I store the rolls in plastic storage containers.

Quote Originally Posted by knlsmith
    I roll mine like the ones in the shops. Then I tie a string of yarn or scrap around the cricumference of it so it doesn't come undone.

Blog Entries
    When I am starting a quilt (or any project) I set up my wooden drying rack. Cut out FQ of each fabric being used. Separate them on the rack. Usually there are 4 or more FQ for each fabric so those are lain on top of each other. I know exactly what I have and have yet to do. When all done, then I cut into the strips, shapes, etc. When sewing strips together, I take them and hang them over a metal towel bar (cheap thin one from Home Depot) that is attached to the wall next to the machine. Finished strips, big blocks go back on the wooden rack until I need them again to finish. I never cut strips unless I am working on a project, and then they are always hanging on a rack and not laying on a table.

I only make 1" and 1.5" strips. I have clear plastic shoe boxes, and I separate by light/dark and by strip width - so 4 shoe boxes all together. The strips are folded loosely in the boxes so they don't get wrinkled. When the boxes start getting full I cut the strips into lengths for log cabin quilts, because that is usually what I make with my scraps.

I put mine in see-through plastic bins. :)

If I remember correctly, Bonnie Hunter sorts hers by size and lights/darks into drawers. I just have 2 large totes full of all sizes scraps. I haven't sorted or cut them up yet - too many other things to do.

I like to collect mason jars, or just jars in general with nice lids. I use them to store binding, strips, 2"-5" squares and so on. I label them using 1" lettering for ease of reading when on a shelf. The glass jars makes it easy for me to see the color of the fabric. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by born2bfree67
    I like to collect mason jars, or just jars in general with nice lids. I use them to store binding, strips, 2"-5" squares and so on. I label them using 1" lettering for ease of reading when on a shelf. The glass jars makes it easy for me to see the color of the fabric. Hope this helps.
    Love this, like putting up supplies for winter

mine are in smaller rubbermaid containers within larger rubbermaid containers....folded and stacked...I save 1-1/2", 2" and 2-1/2"...started saving them way back when Debbie Caffrey came out with the book Open a can of worms (2-1/2" ), and then Noodle Soup(2" )...so I have a lot...I use them, but I should use them more. I add to them as a fabric gets down to the end, cutting strips of various sizes whatever cuts up best.

Blog Entries
    I have mine in plastic drawer units, separated by width size. I also have rectangles, squares and triangles separated by shape. All drawers labeled on the front of the drawer. I have a plastic 3-drawer unit with fat quarters. All fabrics 1 yd + get rolled onto bolt boards that are cut in half. They are on shelves. Anything less than one yd goes into my bin to be cut into strips and fat quarters, to be stored in the plastic drawers. I also have one bin of small, odd shaped scraps for use in applique or paper piecing. Took me a long time to get it all organized at the beginning, but, so easy now.

I have an indoor wooden clothes dryer that has the dowel rods running across it that I use when getting a project ready. I hang my strips, pieced segments or even pressed yardage of material. I love it. When I am done it folds down and is stored away. Plus I can get everything out and ready for the project.

There is a closet in the room where my cutting table is. The closet doors have been removed and I have 2 spring action shower curtain rods across the opening. I hang stuff on those rods, mainly fabric strips. Over top of the rods & strips I lay large flimsy (like dry cleaner) plastic bags to catch the dust.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast