Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store fabric strips? >

How do you store fabric strips?

How do you store fabric strips?

Old 08-15-2011, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by born2bfree67
I like to collect mason jars, or just jars in general with nice lids. I use them to store binding, strips, 2"-5" squares and so on. I label them using 1" lettering for ease of reading when on a shelf. The glass jars makes it easy for me to see the color of the fabric. Hope this helps.
Love this, like putting up supplies for winter
Old 08-15-2011, 04:51 AM

mine are in smaller rubbermaid containers within larger rubbermaid containers....folded and stacked...I save 1-1/2", 2" and 2-1/2"...started saving them way back when Debbie Caffrey came out with the book Open a can of worms (2-1/2" ), and then Noodle Soup(2" )...so I have a lot...I use them, but I should use them more. I add to them as a fabric gets down to the end, cutting strips of various sizes whatever cuts up best.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:14 AM

I have mine in plastic drawer units, separated by width size. I also have rectangles, squares and triangles separated by shape. All drawers labeled on the front of the drawer. I have a plastic 3-drawer unit with fat quarters. All fabrics 1 yd + get rolled onto bolt boards that are cut in half. They are on shelves. Anything less than one yd goes into my bin to be cut into strips and fat quarters, to be stored in the plastic drawers. I also have one bin of small, odd shaped scraps for use in applique or paper piecing. Took me a long time to get it all organized at the beginning, but, so easy now.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:29 AM

I have an indoor wooden clothes dryer that has the dowel rods running across it that I use when getting a project ready. I hang my strips, pieced segments or even pressed yardage of material. I love it. When I am done it folds down and is stored away. Plus I can get everything out and ready for the project.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:10 AM

There is a closet in the room where my cutting table is. The closet doors have been removed and I have 2 spring action shower curtain rods across the opening. I hang stuff on those rods, mainly fabric strips. Over top of the rods & strips I lay large flimsy (like dry cleaner) plastic bags to catch the dust.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:12 AM

For some reason I seem to like mine all squished up in various shoe boxes..... I think they might be sorted by 'day'....??
Old 08-15-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by litacats
I roll mine up like jelly rolls that way you can pack them into a drawer or shoe box. the plastic bags that sheets or doona covers come in are very good for keeping them all together neatly and you can see at a glance what is in them
Ditto. If your rolls are really large, and some of mine are, use a big rubber band that will go all the way around the roll. froggyintexas
Old 08-15-2011, 06:36 AM

I have a short wall in the hallway leading to my sewing room. I have nailed used machine needles along the wall. Then i use binder clamps to hold the strips. It's really surprising how much weight those needles will hold. If they will be hanging a while before I get to them, I take a cleaner's plastic bag, cut a few slits and hang it over the needles also to keep the strips from getting dusty.

I call it "Wall Art" :lol:
Old 08-15-2011, 07:55 AM

I store mine in plastic shoe box containers but I have them sorted somewhat. Anything 2" or less in width goes into one box - all colors are mixed. And 2 1/2" Strips go into another box mixed with the exception of florals. I have made a few quilts using the florals and want to make a string quilt with one so they live in their own container.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:14 AM

I ask for the empty cardboard from a bolt of fabric at the fabric shop, then I wrap my strips (and binding if I am not using it right away) around it. Since it is cardboard I can pin it in the cardboard at the beginning and end. then set it up against a wall....not space taken up.