Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store fabric strips? >

How do you store fabric strips?

How do you store fabric strips?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:55 AM

I don't know because I haven't gotten that far yet but I'm going to use a silverware draw(plastic)because I have all different sizes.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:10 AM

I store them in plastic bins until I am ready to piece them. Then, I take them out and place them on an Amish clothes drying rack which las at least 10 rungs on it. They hang down over the rungs and I can see at a glance which color I need. When I am finished with that particular quilt, I fold them back neatly into the bins (and cut more to join them.) Works for me.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:12 AM

I've been sorting my strips by width and attach an office clip at the end of the bundle of strips. This is the black spring loaded clip with the metal levers that fold down. They hold the strips all together so you can pick up the whole section of strips and easily select which one to use without getting the strips all mixed up. I usually store them in plastic bins but have also just hung them by the clip on hooks or nails when working with several sizes.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:34 AM

I roll them by size and put in zip lock baggies.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:54 AM

I usually hang them on a hanger...the pants part of it and then into the closet for safe keeping while working on a project. If I'm not planning anything specific at the time I'm doing the ironing and cutting, then I roll it up like the jelly rolls. All the same fabric print in a roll and then stored in a shallow bin.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:06 AM

I started out by having mine neatly in plastic shoe boxes.
I QUICKLY out grew that system. :lol:
Now, I have 4 laundry baskets. One for each size strip 1 1/2", 2", 2 1/2", and 3 1/2".
I didn't sort by colors. I Love scrappy quilts, so this works for me. I usually just close my eyes and grab a strip from the size basket that I need. ;)
Old 08-15-2011, 11:13 AM

I really like the clear plastic containers for a lot of my quilting supplies. However, I purchased photo boxes (acid free)--and buy them only when they are on sale--and put my jelly roll strips and pieces that I have left over from a project (or ones I cut randomly from discarded clothes) in them. Each box is labeled on the front end with the size of the piece/block or strip inside. They are stacked on shelves above my computer desk so that I can see at a glance what is inside each box. Of course, I do have to open the box to see what the colors are. But it makes it easy for me or my granddaughter to select the size we want for a project. My 8 year old granddaughter has caught the quilting craze and is now working on her first full size quilt for her Mom for Christmas. She had begun hand-piecing a nine-patch but has decided she has to learn to use my Singer Featherweight in order to finish before Christmas. She crochets, knits, and does cross-stitch but since quilting has taken over my living room, dining room and a bedroom, she decided that has to become her "specialty" too.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:33 PM

I have 2 brass towel racks on my sewing room door and hand them from there......
Old 08-15-2011, 02:41 PM

I keep all my cut strips/pieces in marked glad bags then put all the bags into 1 large bag or tote marked with the project name.

Maybe1day
Old 08-15-2011, 03:51 PM

Great idea. Thanks for the tip. Have to order some.