Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store your rulers & mats? >

How do you store your rulers & mats?

How do you store your rulers & mats?

Old 01-05-2011, 08:07 AM

For about 50 cents each I bought two upright desk top file holders and store my rulers on them. They are up on my cutting counter top and readily available to choose which one I need. My extra cutting mats I store standing up behind a dresser so they can't curl or fall.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:35 AM

my DH just put up pegboard in my sewing room and I have to say that it is the best thing since sliced bread! As soon as I get some batteries for my camera I will post pics.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:53 AM

I cut on my dining room/kitchen table. I have protector pads under the tablecloth and everything is kept there.Works for me
Old 01-05-2011, 12:28 PM

My mats lay flat on the cutting counter, but most of my rulers are in a rack. I really need a couple more, and am leaning towards that one that hangs and they sit in it at an angle.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:29 PM

What currently works for me is a homemade rack for larger items and a binder system for the multiple shape templates. My rack is a board, onto which I glued disposable chopsticks at narrow intervals. Just measured, marked, glued, then gently put another board on top while the glue dried. It sits on a counter, next to a book case, so that the larger rulers can lean on the book case. The smaller ones rest at the ready like little soldiers ready for their call to duty.

Mats are everywhere. Different sizes in different places. Most active machines have a cutting mat next to them. The largest one lives on the cutting table. I have a large portfolio style carry bag, c.70's, which had been made for carrying a drafting board to job sites. I covered the board as a pressing board, and keep the big mats in it for on-the-go. There is a pocket on the front for a T-Square, but I dare not put rulers in it for fear they'll get down so far I won't be able to reach then. I do have a couple of large sheets of cardboard inside so I can keep the large rulers on one side of the mats and the board on the other. It has a hand carry strap. I want to put a shoulder strap on it. It's also O.D. Green. Want to attack it with iron-on appliqués or fabric paint . . . in my spare time.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
I'm in the process of re-doing my sewing room & I need some ideas on what to do with my rulers & mats (the smaller ones with handles). I currently have them hanging from picture hooks, which I like, but the hooks are barely big enough. Was wondering about a pegboard, like what my husband uses in the garage for his tools. It would have to be painted & prettied up though if it was going in my sewing room lol.

So what do all of you do? If you have pictures, that would be great. Thanks!
I bought a sheet of pegboard and painted it the same color as the the walls.I looked for white hooks and couldn't find them so I bought the silver ones and spray-painted them white.Make sure you attach the pegboard to your wall studs and then you can get the the other little trays and stuff to hang and keep it right where you can reach it, and at the same time your work surface is wide open.You can get the hanging trays and acessories in the bathroom and kitchen aisle instead of office products.They will cost a lot less and be prettier. Anyway that's how I did mine. The size of the pegboard I have is 3'x6' and every inch is used. I have a corkboard that I keep little pieces of fabric and the quilt pattern in a notebook page protecter I'm working on so I won't forget anything or lose it.Everyone has their own way of doing stuff. You'll get some great tips on here and I know you will have some great ideas of your own. Just think outside of the box.A lot of things I use for quilting don't come from the quilting or sewing dept.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:41 PM

I hang mine right on the wall with 1 /14 inch finishing nails. they do not leave a big hole to be patched if I remove the nail. I Have 15 rulers of various sizes hanging and I used my Electric Quilt program to work out the layout for hanging them so I didn't have to guess at how the would fit and end up moving the nails before I even got them all hung. There are a few rulers I seldom use and some of those I hang layered on one nail. I have a few duplicats and I hang them on one nail Most of them are hung one ruler to a nail and they are easy to take down and rehang which helps keep me organized. I need all the help I can get in the department.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:21 PM

Mine are all[ I have many of them] Are hanging on a peg board on part of one side of my closet wall. It is full.It is 4ft wide and 6 ft.high.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:23 PM

I actually have two filled pegboards. I love it because I can find things so easily and there are so many different fixtures for it. I keep all my cutting implements, rulers. pens and pencils and templates. its easy to find things and put things back. a good place to find cheap peg board fixtures is big lots. Home depot also has a good variety.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Banned

Well, folks, this is how I store my supplies, mats, rulers, etc.: Since I have to cut out and sew on my dining room table, I keep all my sewing/quilting things in the closet in an upstairs den/office. I put everything helter-skelter on the floor, on some shelves, in a drawer and in some craft totes. Then when I need them, I rummage through everything and swear and sweat. Then I promise myself to organize everything nicely soon and trudge downstairs with the mats/scissors/rulers/cutters/thread I need and when I'm done sewing for the day, I carry everything back upstairs and toss them in the closet again.

Pathetic! I'm so envious of the wonderful sewing rooms and spaces pictured!