Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you take a good picture of your projects? >

How do you take a good picture of your projects?

How do you take a good picture of your projects?

Old 06-24-2011, 02:09 PM

You not only need a large enough design wall but a big enough house so you can step back far enough.

I had to take a pic of a 86" x 92" quilt - we have a deck four feet off the ground, I "attached" the top of the quilt to the top of the railing with 4 large full spaghetti sauce cans, it hung down perfectly. Had to crop the cans out of the picture.

Actually I had to take it twice, the second time after pulling up some tall grass at the base. Yard work is not my strong suit.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:20 PM

I think lighting is very important. Here's a good article on the subject.
Check top or bottom of the page where they talk about cameras, lighting, etc.
http://hollyknott.com/stq/index.htm
Old 06-24-2011, 02:46 PM

I adjust my photos in Photoshop, but have found that if I take the original pictures under the right conditions, I don't need to use Photoshop for much except resizing.
I hang my quilts on pants/skirt hangers, then hang the hangers on the gutters of my house. I take pictures on bright, overcast days. If it's sunny, I get too many shadows and the quilt colors are too "hot".
Old 06-24-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by KyKat
Do you hang them on a wall? Put them on a bed? the floor? Have someone hold them? Inside? Outside? All of my pictures make my quilts look . . . slanted or something. The lighting is not good. All of your pictures look so good, I'm doing something wrong. Tips? Thanks.
I am fortunate to have 2 fairly tall sons so one or both of them hold the quilt up for me (no design wall for me, sob!). I have a large picture window in the living room which I open to give good lighting.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:27 PM

I move my design wall when necessary. It is made of two covered pink foam insulation boards 4'x8'x2". It's a bit awkward but I move them myself. Don't recommend using outside on a windy day.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:18 PM

I call one of my LQS's and ask to use their walls for taking photos. The light is just right in the stores. They don't mind as long as I don't interrupt a class or event.

ali
Old 06-24-2011, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost

I have had some luck with using spring type pants hangars to grip the top edge, then hanging those on the top rim of a tall bookcase we have -- of course that's inside. I suppose I could use the tall fence at the edge of the deck as well.
Good idea! I must try that - thankyou. I tend to put the quilt on the floor and then stand on a chair to take a photo - it can get a bit precarious as I lean just that bit further to get the angle as straight as possible! I've also tried pegging them to the washing line, but I live on top of a hill and it's almost always windy, so that doesn't work too well.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:31 AM

I hang a king-sized white (or black, depending on the color of the quilt) sheet on my garage door and pin the quilt to that. I take the pics on an overcast day outside...bright, natural light, and no shadows from too-bright sun.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:24 AM

I have my husband stand on a bench in our sunroom and hold the quilts up. I use a flash on my camera and "fix" the brightness when I transfer the pics to my computer.