Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you use the motifs in 501 quilting book >

How do you use the motifs in 501 quilting book

How do you use the motifs in 501 quilting book

Old 03-04-2018, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I just got this book myself and think it's great. One question though - when you folks refer to tissue paper, are you talking tissue paper like is used in gift wrapping or something else? I'm normally a hand quilter and usually mark as I go with plastic stencils but am wanting to try machine quilting so am looking for some marking techniques for the templates from this book that will work for that. The book mentions using a light box and tracing onto the quilt top. I have a light box and can try this but I'm wondering if that will work for dark fabrics.
When I use tissue paper, I use the gift wrapping tissue paper, or I have been know to iron the tissue paper that comes in shoe boxes when new shoes were purchased (or at least it use to) and use it to trace quilting motifs.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:48 PM

You can use golden threads paper
Old 03-04-2018, 01:03 PM

For long arming, you can make a panto, either by making several copies on printer and connecting with a curve or loop or whatever works.....they are great for longarm patterns...I've used many, some with "revisions".
Old 03-04-2018, 05:15 PM

I have traced patterns out of my book onto freezer paper, then ironed several layers together to make it stiffer. Make frequent holes along the lines (i like the sewing machine with wing needle idea). You can pounce or use Crayola washable markers to mark the design. I am always looking for easier ways to mark my quilts for hand quilting...
Old 03-05-2018, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
Oh gosh, I was thinking of hand quilting. Sorry.
I am a hand quilter and I trace the designs on wash a way stabilizer attach to top with small safety pins and stitch. Very easy to quilt through and the only way I do my hand quilting from baby quilts to full size.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:50 AM

[QUOTE=JustAbitCrazy;8015356]I like to trace the design with a thin permanent marker on Miracle Film, which is a heat-away plastic stabilizer. Let it dry overnight (or cheat and dry it with a hairdryer on low heat) so the needle doesn't transfer the marker color onto the quilt. I use temporary spray basting to place the traced design on the quilt, quilt through it, and then it tears off easily. Miracle Film is clear so it's easier to place precisely than Golden Threads paper, it's perforated, making it tear off so easily I've never had to use heat to remove it. Not affiliated, just love the stuff.[/QUOTE

I’ve never heard of this but sure want to try!!!
Where can I get it via mail? Thank you
Old 03-05-2018, 10:05 AM

Miracle Film is sold by Marathon. They make nice threads, too, and have a website. It's made to be removed by hovering a hot iron above it (thus "heat away") and the stuff melts into little balls which can be brushed off. But I always just tear it off. It's so easy.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:00 AM

Thank you for the info, just a bit crazy, I am going to check it out!!
Old 03-05-2018, 01:21 PM

I might check out the Miracle Film as well. I'm trying to migrate from hand to machine quilting so looking for a reasonable way to trace patterns from the subject book onto a medium to place on the quilt top to machine quilt. I'll try the tissue paper as well. That stuff is certainly cheap enough, lol, to give it a try.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:18 AM

I never trace anything on the book because I don't want to ruin the page with ink bleeding through. I copy the pattern on my printer, I can resize if I want. Then I can fix it to my light box and trace away!