Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How do you use the motifs in 501 quilting book

How do you use the motifs in 501 quilting book

I got this book today and I was thinking of how do you make a stencil or how do you use this to put on your quilt?
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Are these pages to copy from or do they want you to draw them by tracing or something? I usually make my own so I am not sure what to say.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

It would depend on what machine I quilted on. If I used my Gammill standup machine, I would trace the motif off on a piece of paper, place on the machine table, line it up with laser light and quilt away. If I use my domestic machine I would trace the motif off on a piece of tissue paper, pin it were I wanted it on the quilt sandwich and stitch thru the paper, tearing the paper way after the block was quilted.

Oh gosh, I was thinking of hand quilting. Sorry.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    I sometimes use ( Golden paper) to trace a continuous pattern from the book, sometimes I just copy a page in the beginning of the book it explains a few different ways to transfer and use the motifs.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I do as Bobbielinks and I do fm on my home sewing machine.

I use a piece of flexible plastic like the plastic in bacon but heavier or a sheet from my current stockpile of plastic folders, trace the pattern on it and then on long stitch, NO THREAD and with a wing leather needle reserved for just this duty, sew over the tracing. Then I use pounce or cornstarch to rub over the holes and voila! the pattern appears. Of course this is pretty much a mark as you go project unless you want to play connect the dots with a disappearing blue pen. The stencils last nicely but do write page and any increase in size on the stencil with a perm. marker. Ask me how I figured this last detail out.

Thanks for all the help. I read the front of the book and that helped also.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I just got this book myself and think it's great. One question though - when you folks refer to tissue paper, are you talking tissue paper like is used in gift wrapping or something else? I'm normally a hand quilter and usually mark as I go with plastic stencils but am wanting to try machine quilting so am looking for some marking techniques for the templates from this book that will work for that. The book mentions using a light box and tracing onto the quilt top. I have a light box and can try this but I'm wondering if that will work for dark fabrics.

I like to trace the design with a thin permanent marker on Miracle Film, which is a heat-away plastic stabilizer. Let it dry overnight (or cheat and dry it with a hairdryer on low heat) so the needle doesn't transfer the marker color onto the quilt. I use temporary spray basting to place the traced design on the quilt, quilt through it, and then it tears off easily. Miracle Film is clear so it's easier to place precisely than Golden Threads paper, it's perforated, making it tear off so easily I've never had to use heat to remove it. Not affiliated, just love the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    I just got this book myself and think it's great. One question though - when you folks refer to tissue paper, are you talking tissue paper like is used in gift wrapping or something else? I'm normally a hand quilter and usually mark as I go with plastic stencils but am wanting to try machine quilting so am looking for some marking techniques for the templates from this book that will work for that. The book mentions using a light box and tracing onto the quilt top. I have a light box and can try this but I'm wondering if that will work for dark fabrics.
    When I use tissue paper, I use the gift wrapping tissue paper, or I have been know to iron the tissue paper that comes in shoe boxes when new shoes were purchased (or at least it use to) and use it to trace quilting motifs.

You can use golden threads paper
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

For long arming, you can make a panto, either by making several copies on printer and connecting with a curve or loop or whatever works.....they are great for longarm patterns...I've used many, some with "revisions".

I have traced patterns out of my book onto freezer paper, then ironed several layers together to make it stiffer. Make frequent holes along the lines (i like the sewing machine with wing needle idea). You can pounce or use Crayola washable markers to mark the design. I am always looking for easier ways to mark my quilts for hand quilting...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    Oh gosh, I was thinking of hand quilting. Sorry.
    I am a hand quilter and I trace the designs on wash a way stabilizer attach to top with small safety pins and stitch. Very easy to quilt through and the only way I do my hand quilting from baby quilts to full size.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

[QUOTE=JustAbitCrazy;8015356]I like to trace the design with a thin permanent marker on Miracle Film, which is a heat-away plastic stabilizer. Let it dry overnight (or cheat and dry it with a hairdryer on low heat) so the needle doesn't transfer the marker color onto the quilt. I use temporary spray basting to place the traced design on the quilt, quilt through it, and then it tears off easily. Miracle Film is clear so it's easier to place precisely than Golden Threads paper, it's perforated, making it tear off so easily I've never had to use heat to remove it. Not affiliated, just love the stuff.[/QUOTE

Iíve never heard of this but sure want to try!!!
    Where can I get it via mail? Thank you

Miracle Film is sold by Marathon. They make nice threads, too, and have a website. It's made to be removed by hovering a hot iron above it (thus "heat away") and the stuff melts into little balls which can be brushed off. But I always just tear it off. It's so easy.

Thank you for the info, just a bit crazy, I am going to check it out!!

I might check out the Miracle Film as well. I'm trying to migrate from hand to machine quilting so looking for a reasonable way to trace patterns from the subject book onto a medium to place on the quilt top to machine quilt. I'll try the tissue paper as well. That stuff is certainly cheap enough, lol, to give it a try.

I never trace anything on the book because I don't want to ruin the page with ink bleeding through. I copy the pattern on my printer, I can resize if I want. Then I can fix it to my light box and trace away!

What a timely topic. I just bought that book and was wondering the same thing. I want to stretch my skills on my domestic machine.
    Thanks, Suzanne.