Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you use your serger? >

How do you use your serger?

How do you use your serger?

Old 01-09-2011, 07:59 AM

I agree with Dee, it's a must for sewing- I couldn't sew without my sergers! I also have 3 embroidery machines, and I keep one serger always set on narrow rolled hem for linens and such. If you do any embroidery on t-shirts, I always shorten the hems on them as it makes them look so much better, but I press the hem in place then an inch above crease I zip it off with the serger- so easy, then topstitch. And as said, those small quilting pieces must have the edges serged before washing or you lose an inch. You don't need to spend $1,000, but don't get a super cheapie that doesn't sew well or you will hate it. I have never had a problem threading mine or anything else- they are both over 25 years old now- both Babylocks. Good luck- if you get one, take an owners class!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 AM

You can use a serger to serge the edges of your quilts when you attach the binding using a fusible thread in the upper looper. After serging, fold the binding over the stitches to the back of the quilt and iron. It will hold binding in place for you to hand (or machine sew).
Old 01-09-2011, 01:09 PM

I use my surger a lot, but not for quilting.. The only quilt things I use it for is to keep fabric from raveling. I use it quite a lot for making napkins and other decorative items, cutains, purses, and I always do the inside seams on totes I make. Mostly I use mine for garment construction. If you have one, keep it, you never know what you'll be doing next week!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:28 PM

LOVE the serger technique on the quilt! How pretty! I mainly use my serger for home dec, regular sewing & alterations, or just anywhere I want a seam to not ravel. Don't generally use it for quilting, but recently saw a serged ruffle technique used on a quilt to add texture -- now thinking of trying it - even if only in small "accents". I think the serged edges add a unique look.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:31 PM

If you add basting thread (it's fusible) to one of your loopers, then when you press the serged edge or hem, it will definitely hold it in place for you to secure w/ permanent stitching. I think it also dissolves away, so don't use it place of permanent stitching. I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone spend a lot of money on a serger til they know they'll like using one. Start out w/ a lower-end model w/ a couple of practical feet & settings & work your way up.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:52 PM

I use mine to clean up the edges of the quilt before I bind it. It cleans it up, gives me a nice edge and compresses the sandwich a little. I find the binding goes on smoother this way
Old 01-09-2011, 04:45 PM

I've had one for 2+ yeaars. Never have opened the box.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:47 PM

I have two sergers and they stay out on my sewing table at
all times. I always serge raw seams of fabric before pre-washing and I also use to finish all my raw seams in dressmaking, sure can make a difference, also good to serge
edges of hems before the turnup. Haaven't tried them at quilting as of now; but you never know as smart as the ladies on this board are if there's a will there's a way
Old 01-09-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen Nass
You can use a serger to serge the edges of your quilts when you attach the binding using a fusible thread in the upper looper.
Oh, wow! I already trim all my quilts with a serger, but this idea about the fusible thread is just great! I will definitely try it the next time I finish a quilt. Thank you! :)
Old 01-09-2011, 09:00 PM

I use my serger for everything. clothes (not just knits) - It goes faster and the seams look like ready to wear. I admit if I am in a tricky area, I sometimes sew with sewing first and go back and serge the seam. When I need to hem pants or a skirt, I mark the hem allowance and then cut off and finish the edge in one pass of the needle.

I have made a quilt using the serger. My favorite way is to use denim. Make your serged seams on the top side of the fabric, where they show. When the quilter quilts the seam are turned ever other way. Multi colored thread looks nice on the denim.

Baby receiving blankets are so fast. Round the corners and there is no starting and stopping until you are finished. It is not necessary to use a rolled hem. A three thread flat lock with a narrow stitch looks great.

Remember when using a serger you have to get on the fabric as if you are driving on an expressway (angle on and angle off).

Napkins and table cloths using a rolled hem are fun and fast.

There are other ways to use your serger too, just can't think of them just now.

Remember to take the new owners class your dealer provides. Be sure to purchase through a dealer where you can get help and service. Ordering from the internet or purchasing at a garage sale is not recommended for a novice. I you are experienced this would be ok.

DONT GET FRUSTRATED. It is a different kind of tool. Learning the parts and termanology (sp) is important.

Good Luck!!