Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much do you use your Serger? >

How much do you use your Serger?

How much do you use your Serger?

Old 04-15-2013, 08:48 PM

Default How much do you use your Serger?

Been thinking about getting one but don't know if I'd use it enough to justify the purchase.. And it would have to be very very easy to thread and use or I know I'd not use it much..

So how much do you use yours, and what do you use it for? And lowest price for simple and easy to use is also most important to me, so what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance..
Old 04-15-2013, 09:18 PM

I rarely use mine. I never use it for quilting. I've used it in the past when making pillowcases and pajama bottoms. I broke one of the needles 2 years ago right before Christmas and I have yet to put a new needle in it. Just a couple of weeks ago I took it from underneath my sewing table and put it away in a cabinet. I bought a used Singer on Craigslist for $80. The owner had paid $300. It sat idle at her house too
Old 04-15-2013, 09:37 PM

Interested in the responses. I don't know if I would use one and have thought about getting one.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:40 PM

I don't have one and never felt the need for one.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:10 AM

I bought one many years ago (not cheap, it was $600) and it was the biggest waste of money for me. It a Simplicity brand and has been nothing but trouble since day one. No matter what way I try for threading, I can never get it working right after changing threads. I've had it serviced a few times and it will work for a short time, then same thing if I change colors. I think there is too much slack in the thread and the thread picks up the wrong way underneath. I'm going to bring it to my guy and trade it for partial payment on service to my featherweight.

When it did work, it was great for curtains and such. If I were ever to consider another, I would get a self threading one...but it's not even on my wish list anymore.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:23 AM

I, too, bought a used one on CL. Paid about $50 I think for a Brother 4-thread machine. Wasn't sure how much I'd really use it so didn't want to invest big bucks. She lost the manual and I actually paid $20 to get a copy of one. Not a great copy and the threading diagram was the pits. Had it serviced at my regular dealer for a reasonable fee. Then found out that a not quite local to me LQS was offering classes on sergers. The 3-4 classes were another $50 or thereabouts. VERY good instructor. Well worth my time, $$ and gas. All that said, I think I've used it 1 or 2 times since then. Overall I'm happy with the route that I took for this purchase and the total $$ spent. It's there if I need/want it for something without having spent really big bucks. And the books/instructions I got in the class are all still there for reference. The best tip for threading from that class...tie the new thread to the old and just pull each one through...at least then you know you have it at least threaded correctly. Another big tip - keep a log of the various adjustments you make for different techniques. Write down your baseline settings; then when you do a rolled edge, for example, write down those settings. This way, when you want to go back to normal serged edge, you know your settings and reduces the frustration factor.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:52 AM

I bought a Juki last fall. Love it, just wish I had more time to play with it.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:40 AM

I use mine pretty frequently. I serge the edges of fabric before I wash it to keep strings out of the pump of my washer and our septic tank, I use it for inserting zippers, making receiving blankets, and I do a lot of odd request home decor. I just bought a used Juki off Ebay for heavier fabric I am going to be working with on a project. I love my serger and if it dies I will buy a new one immediately. Mine is a Janome built Kenmore. A small serger compared to some, but it has been a true workhorse.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:47 AM
Power Poster

They are very useful if you do any garment sewing for finished seams etc. Mine didn't get a lot of use until I started making clothing items for grandchildren. If you do like garment sewing it can make projects go fairly quickly.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:56 AM

a million years ago when I did a lot of garment sewing I wore a serger out.. lol it was a used one but a real workhorse. Then I didn't sew much of anything for years. I sold the serger. Two years ago right before my husband died he bought me my new sewing machine and a Baby Lock serger. I have yet to even take the cover off the serger! Makes me feel guilty every time I see it!! This was a surprise purchase from hubby or the serger would not have been bought. guess I should sell it.