Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much do you use your Serger? >

How much do you use your Serger?

How much do you use your Serger?

Old 04-16-2013, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by grandjan View Post
I use my serger for garment sewing and home dec stuff. I've only ever used it on two quilts and they were both way out of the usual. I got a request for a pieced quilt made entirely out of heavy satins, sort of like neck tie fabric, and the fabric raveled around the edges so badly that I serged every single piece before I sewed them together. Needless to say, it was a really, really simple quilt--basically 5-inch squares. The other one was a "pillow" quilt I did for a little girl's room. There is probably a better name for them but there is no quilting involved. You make a bunch of little"pillows," all individually stuffed with fiberfill and sew them together, then line it. I did that all on the serger just because it was faster and easier.
I think you are talking about a Puff or Biscuit quilt. I just made one of those and if I ever make another one I am going to pull my serger out of the cabinet, replace the broken needle and use it! Thanks for the suggestion!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 07:35 AM

I use it to sew finished seams on items for sale (fundraisers), grandkids' clothing, or anything that needs a tidily finished seam. That's what I bought it for, and that's all I use it for. The other uses do not interest me in the least - just don't like the look.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:21 PM

I don't use either my overlock or coverlock. They just sit in their boxes in the back of the closet. They were a big waste of money.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Kel

I have had my Serger for 30 years. I LOVE it, use it all the time. Use it to serge the ends of all my fabric before washing it. Use it for quilting when the fabric is kind of thin or frays more then others. It is a fabulious tool and I use it for lots of different things. If you also so clothes it is most valuable for knits. It is a wonderful time saver for finishing seams.