Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much do you use your Serger? >

How much do you use your Serger?

How much do you use your Serger?

Old 04-16-2013, 03:51 AM
Banned

I've only used my serger once for quilting (and rarely for clothing sewing). Very expensive, difficult to thread. It's not worth it IMO.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:33 AM

I have a couple but haven't used them much for a couple years. I think my mom may have done a simple-block-shapes quilt with one. I've found them useful for overcasting, sewing knit clothing, sewing set-in sleeves and trouser crotch seams, piecing for wide draperies .... any place where you want a non-bulky seam or a seam with some give to it.

Since mine are all older, they are a pain in the rear to thread. I think the newer ones may be easier.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:45 AM

I just bought a 1980's era Juki off Craig's List along with 91 cones of thread for $25. For the $$ I have invested I think I got a great deal. I have some small crafty items in mind for it and I have a large curtain project in mind. Having never owed a serger before this, yes it did take me 2-1/2 hours to thread it the first time but now I "get it". There are great videos online that helped me learn (and understand the 'why') of threading a serger.

The manual came with it so that was a help. I've run off samples of thread tensions as was suggested on one of the videos I saw.

For $25 I'm having fun in a new sewing field that I've never experienced before. Would I pay mega dollars for a new one? No.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:47 AM

I think they are great for garment sewing, especially knits. Don't need it for quilting at all. I have not sewn garments in a number of years but am now just getting back into it. I need to find a spot for it in my sewing room. I just made a blouse and just pinked most of the seam edges because I was too lazy to get it out. If you have a diagram for threading it isn't really hard, and once you've done it you can tie on like someone else described above, and then rarely have to do it again. A serger definitely has it's uses, but not a necessity.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:48 AM
dd

I use mine all the time...for clothing. I don't think I have ever used it for quilting. I love mine. It's a little older and simple. I can thread it and have never had a problem with it. Oh, that's a lie, I serge the edge of the quilt before I put the binding on. I just like that it's all enclosed and it cuts off the extra for me at the same time. But I've never used it for piecing. I also serger the edge of loose woven fabrics before I wash them.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:50 AM

Bought one years ago...had made one jeans jacket and thought I would want to make more...
I never have...and the serger just sits there. I am selling it to my niece...I think...she said she wants
it but hasn't gotten back to me for awhile. Guess it is time for me to contact her again.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:58 AM

I have a serger and I never use it for quilting, but I do use it on and off with some clothes and pillowcases. I've seen people use them in quilting and there is so much you can do with a serger, but I just haven't spent the time to learn how to do all the different stitches. I don't use it all the time, but wouldn't give it up for anything.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

I have a Brother 1034D (about $200) I got about a year or so ago. Then Mr. Stitchnripper started having some health issues and after my first burst of using it a lot, I haven't used it or any of my other machines for a long time. Of course it would be great to have the Babylock auto threader, but that is about $5000, and for my purposes not necessary. I did take a serger class and did learn to rethread. You might want to do a search because we have discussed sergers recently and you might learn even more about them.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:03 AM

When I made garmets for my kids I did use it but now it gets used to serge the edges of material. As soon as I get home with new fabric for quilts I serge the ends and wash the fabric then I know it is ready to use whenever I am ready to make a quilt. As others have said when the thread gets to the end I tie it to the next spool of thread and don't have any trouble threading.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:15 AM

Just a helpful tip- thread your serger with a different color for each needle. Then you can see what each thread does and which one needs adjusting. I have a Huskylock and I don't use it for quilting, but for garment making- it's wonderful. Do I have issues with it? Sometimes. Can it be frustrating? Sometimes. Mostly I think it is user error because I can fight with it for an hour- leave it for a while, come back and it's fine. LOL i guess you need to evaluate what your needs are, decide if a serger is what you want. If it is, watch for a sale or good deal. If offered classes, take them so you will be able to understand how they work, why and you can have fun with it.