Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how does everyone make time to sew/quilt? >

how does everyone make time to sew/quilt?

how does everyone make time to sew/quilt?

Old 05-07-2009, 05:09 AM

Wow. You ladies are awesome.

Have been retired for 7 years and should have all the time in the world to garden and quilt, but it ain't happenin'. Must learn to say No to family and friends or they will take over my life.

Then, too, I procrastinate, because I have all the time in the world. :oops:
Old 05-07-2009, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ducky
Sewcin, I love the quilt in your avatar!

.... One thing I can say is, once I start sewing, the whole world outside my sewing room disappears, and I am "at one" with my machine and fabric. :D
And I've read that this is the time that your body uses to heal your mind AND TO LOWER YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE. I need more of that time. I keep telling myself "next week, maybe...."
Old 05-07-2009, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Judy Lee
Wow. You ladies are awesome.

Have been retired for 7 years and should have all the time in the world to garden and quilt, but it ain't happenin'. Must learn to say No to family and friends or they will take over my life.

Then, too, I procrastinate, because I have all the time in the world. :oops:
Yep, that's what's happened since I retired (almost 12 years now). Also I procrastinate because I just know that the phone will ring as soon as I get started on a project. :? I think I sewed more when I was working. AND I had papers to grade, etc.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:11 AM

Since your retirement, have you noticed time behaving differently? It seems very elastic, almost as in childhood. I believe it is the way it was meant to be. :?:
Old 05-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Bev

(Since your retirement, have you noticed time behaving differently? It seems very elastic, almost as in childhood. I believe it is the way it was meant to be. )

I'm not sure about it being more "elastic", but it sure does behave differently. Even though my time is my own, it seems to flit away very quickly. Sometimes when I'm in my quilting room, working on whatever, the hours just slide by and before I know it it's supper or lunch time. I don't accomplish nearly as much in the way of housework as I did when I was employed and caring for my kids. If the cleaning doesn't get done I just mentally say, "oh well, tomorrow's another day," and that's it. I couldn't do that when the kids were little because tomorrow brought a whole new set of problems and a ton of different work to do. 8)
Old 05-07-2009, 01:05 PM

The FlyLady has quite a large following. She is very interactive with all her members and it has made a difference for me. Now when I am in my sewing room, at some point I stop and set a timer for 15 minutes and put things away and usually it gets cleaned up before the timer goes off. But I also use my timer when I am doing something on a project that repeats over and over again, like chain piecing. I do it for 15 minutes at a time, and then switch to something different for 15 minutes. The timer also reminds me that I have to check dinner or the laundry. It is surprising how much gets done 15 mintues at a time.
I also like to sneak up to my sewing room early in the morning before anyone wakes up and before I have to get ready for work. Sometimes I can get a half an hour or even an hour of sewing time in.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:23 PM

I quilt in lieu of cleaning house. You'd be surprised how much time you have!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
Anna - how did you discover my secret! heee heeee !!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 10:36 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Originally Posted by AnnaK
Anna - how did you discover my secret! heee heeee !!!!!!!!!!
Make that three of us!

Although, I DO push the vacuum cleaner round once a month, whether it needs it or not! :wink:

K x