Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How dumb was that? (Hand quilting)

Power Poster

How dumb was that? (Hand quilting)

The first time I tried to hand quilt, I thought the fabric was supposed to be tight as a drum head in the hoop/frame (one of the pvc rectangles) A smooth surface worked better for embroidery, didn't it?

It was hard to work the needle - how was I supposed to rock the needle if I couldn't get the fabric to move?

At last I realized that there has to be some "give/looseness" to the fabric so it can be maneuvered a bit. What a difference that made!

Blog Entries
    ~raising hand~ Me too...and I nearly got rid of my hoop, it's one of those big ones on a stand, I forget the brand name of it.
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

It was your first attempt...so not dumb at all-I don't even use a hoop as I need lots of give when I quilt...I wish I had the hand dexterity to still be able to hand quilt.

I still don't seem to be able to find my mojo for hand quilting. I like hand work, but quilting just doesn't seem to click for me.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    ~raising hand~ Me too...and I nearly got rid of my hoop, it's one of those big ones on a stand, I forget the brand name of it.
    Hinterberg?

Blog Entries
    I'm another "no hoop-er". I just can't get comfortable using a hoop.

Blog Entries
    My problem is that I can't use a thimble. I need to feel the needle. I get callouses on my fingers. Wish I could use a thimble.
    Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

You have to experiment till you find the tension that is right for you, I tought that you could not handquilt without a loom or a hoop till I saw a quilter doing 12 stitches to an inch without a loom of any kind, experimentation and practice make perect as they used to say!

Blog Entries
    I only do one stitch at a time. I just can't get the hang of the rocking motion. I have hand quilted 6 full size. I figure the best way is the one you will do. There is no right or wrong.

At least you are figuring things out as you go along. Good luck.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Hinterberg?
    YES!! I found it at a thrift shop for $20...
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

Power Poster
    I love my Q Snap floor frame. I start with it tight as a drum to make sure there are no wrinkles anywhere. I then press gently on the surface to relax the tension to the proper give for quilting. Hey, there is always a learning curve when you start something new.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PensyDutch View Post
    My problem is that I can't use a thimble. I need to feel the needle. I get callouses on my fingers. Wish I could use a thimble.
    I use a thimble on my top hand, but the underhand is bare...I'm constantly poking my finger, and I wear out my nails...

I had the same problem when I started. Keep asking questions, there is no such thing as dumb question.

Look forward to seeing your work.
    Lisa

Totally a learning moment. I probably would have made the same mistake.

Cheers, K

How many stitches to the inch is acceptable? Hand-quilting is new to me. I have been averaging 5 stitches to an inch. I know to maintain a consistent size in the stitches in very important...just haven't figured out how to get more than 5 stitches. I can only do 2 stitches at a time to maintain stitch length consistency. I enjoy hand-quilting but I am very slow at it. Any helpful hints are appreciated. I really enjoy reading these inquiries. Thanks, Christina

I've tried a hoop and also tried a frame. Have better luck using neither one. I just have to make sure I baste or pin the quilt together so it is smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    I use a thimble on my top hand, but the underhand is bare...I'm constantly poking my finger, and I wear out my nails...
    Don't you hate that when you wear your thumb nail down on 1 side only!!! I started using a pad on my under thumb when it's in the hoop & on my index finger when it's out of the hoop. I always have a metal thumble on my right middle finger to push.
    .* .*)) -::-
    ((.*~Dody.*))
    -::- ((.* .*((.. *-::- ...

Blog Entries
    It is the same with quilting on a frame. I thought it was supposed to be really tight to make even stitches and prevent puckers. I found out really quick you don't want to do that!!!
    Sadiemae

There is a new thimble out there. It is rubberish. I got it at my local quilt shop and it sticks to my finger very nicely. I got 6 of them in all different sizes and all different colors. They work very well. You might want to try them out.
    Busy in Ohio

I think I made mine tight , as I was conditioned to do this when I embroider. It took me a bit to figure out , its not the same , and let the layers relax in the frame.

Blog Entries
    Thank's for the lesson. Now I won't make that same move when I try hand quilting! It's good to see you here!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmmcbride View Post
    How many stitches to the inch is acceptable? Hand-quilting is new to me. I have been averaging 5 stitches to an inch. I know to maintain a consistent size in the stitches in very important...just haven't figured out how to get more than 5 stitches. I can only do 2 stitches at a time to maintain stitch length consistency. I enjoy hand-quilting but I am very slow at it. Any helpful hints are appreciated. I really enjoy reading these inquiries. Thanks, Christina
    I think 10 to the inch is considered very good and 12 is master, but don't quote me. I don't think there should be any pressure on you. I saw some of Kaffe Fassetts' quilts at a show and there was some very primative looking quilting on the quilts and it looked great. Don't expect to do master stitching if you are new at it. It takes practice as everything does. Just do what is comfortable and what you like!
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Trial and error - that's what it's all about. I use a thimble but only on my pushing finger. I still need to feel the needle on my 'under' fingers. I just change fingers frequently but they still look like worn out pincushions by the time I'm done with a quilt.

Blog Entries
    I can't use a thimble either, but I use those little round pieces of leather that sticks to the finger. Love it, no more blood on the quilt.
    Quote Originally Posted by PensyDutch View Post
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast