Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How far do you go cleaning your sewing machine? >

How far do you go cleaning your sewing machine?

How far do you go cleaning your sewing machine?

Old 03-22-2014, 06:16 AM

I have a computerized Viking that doesn't need oiling. I do take the bobbin case out and clean out the lint. Don't use compressed air it will blow the lint deeper into the machine. You can vacuum out the bobbin case vas area though.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Retiredandquilting View Post
I have a Juki TL98Q - I clean inside around the bobbin after every project. I also take the cover plate off the feed dogs and clean that out after each project. An amazing amount of lint builds up in that area very quickly. I also use qtips to clean behind the tension area, and any other place I can get to with a qtip.!
There are a number of other spots that should be done on this machine. The TL98E yahoo group has a good diagram someone did up there, covers even more spots than the spots mentioned in the manual.

Do take the panels off the machine and oil the parts that need to be oiled. The only gotcha I had when I owned one of these was the top panel has to go back on just right (and don't forget to reconnect the cable first) or it's in bobbin winding mode and the machine doesn't run.

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
For my Pfaff and Bernina, I do not have the Pfaff and Bernina tools so must take them to be serviced.
Out of curiousity, when did Pfaff move to special drivers? I have a mid-to late 80s machine here that uses regular screws, and most of the others I've seen haven't been too hard to get into with a kit I have from Princess Auto (I think our equivalent to Harbor Freight?)
Old 03-23-2014, 05:50 AM

I also take off the stitch plate and clean there.
I unscrew the part that hold the bobbin case and clean there too.
I have a small shop vac with attachments that can clean out those areas.
My machine has never been oiled, as per the instructions - it's a 1980's mechanical - so far so good.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ View Post
I refuse to pay $100 to have my machines cleaned.
Ditto! The LAST time I took my Elna 7300 in for servicing the bill was over $160! Egads I could have taken my truck in for an oil change/service 4 times for that amount. And they did not fix the one thing that needed fixing, the automatic threader.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Ditto! The LAST time I took my Elna 7300 in for servicing the bill was over $160! Egads I could have taken my truck in for an oil change/service 4 times for that amount. And they did not fix the one thing that needed fixing, the automatic threader.
it would be cheaper to buy an old straight stitch sewing machine for some of the straight stitch sewing wouldn't it.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:41 AM

I clean my own machine too. I don't actually trust sewing machine "repair" people in this day and age to know what they're doing. Is that bad? I once had my machine in for 'cleaning' and they obviously didn't even open the machine up because I did so when I got the machine back and the giant dust bunny was still there.

The mechanics of the sewing machine are for the most part, separate from the electronics. I open the covers, have my husband blow out the assembly with his air compressor, and I oil areas, based on what people on forums (a lot of whom are competent repair people) tell me to do. Even when the user manual says you only oil certain areas, other areas need to be oiled as well. The manufacturers are just saving that oiling for their dealerships.

Anybody can clean and oil their own machine. You just have to be brave and have confidence! Voiding of warranties is a different story, of course. Maybe this is why I'll never buy a new machine again ;-).
Old 03-23-2014, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
it would be cheaper to buy an old straight stitch sewing machine for some of the straight stitch sewing wouldn't it.
Yes, much cheaper. BUT I bought the Elna BEFORE I started collecting vintage and antique sewing machines.