Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How far from the edge do I quilt? >

How far from the edge do I quilt?

How far from the edge do I quilt?

Old 12-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
I try to NOT quilt where the binding will be (with, depending on how exactly you do it, will be about 1/4" - 1/2" onto the quilt top edge. The reason, it's easy enough to attach the binding strip by machine. But when you're hand turning it down onto the back, it's much easier to get the handwork done if you're not going over machine FMQ. A lot of time my stitches would show on the front, because of going over existing stitches and them holding the sandwich together so tightly, whereas when there's no stitching, it's a piece of cake to hide the binding stitches.

So even if that doesn't make sense, stop at about 1/2" from all edges and you won't be annoyed later :D
I will remember to do this when I quit sewing the binding on by machine :roll: I hope to get better at the hand sewing and then I will see if my old hands will hold up to it :D:D:D
Old 12-18-2009, 01:49 PM

I try to NOT quilt where the binding will be (with, depending on how exactly you do it, will be about 1/4" - 1/2" onto the quilt top edge. The reason, it's easy enough to attach the binding strip by machine. But when you're hand turning it down onto the back, it's much easier to get the handwork done if you're not going over machine FMQ. A lot of time my stitches would show on the front, because of going over existing stitches and them holding the sandwich together so tightly, whereas when there's no stitching, it's a piece of cake to hide the binding stitches.

So even if that doesn't make sense, stop at about 1/2" from all edges and you won't be annoyed later :D
Lucy, I have to completely agree with you about the FMQ stitches too close to the edge making it very difficult to hem stitch the back of the binding down. When you're trying to hide those little stitches, it's hard to avoid machined stitches, and it can cause you to mistakenly go through to the front. I try to stay about 1/2 inch from the edge. It just makes it so much easier.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by jljack

Lucy, I have to completely agree with you about the FMQ stitches too close to the edge making it very difficult to hem stitch the back of the binding down. When you're trying to hide those little stitches, it's hard to avoid machined stitches, and it can cause you to mistakenly go through to the front. I try to stay about 1/2 inch from the edge. It just makes it so much easier.
And what's really annoying is when you don't catch it right away, do all these nice, neat little stitches, flip it over and there's your binding thread on the quilt top, and it's always in a contrasting color when you mess up and have it show through. Always
Old 12-19-2009, 11:12 AM

And what's really annoying is when you don't catch it right away, do all these nice, neat little stitches, flip it over and there's your binding thread on the quilt top, and it's always in a contrasting color when you mess up and have it show through. Always
:lol: Now isn't that the truth!