Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How to finish?

Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

How to finish?

I've hit a mental block with this one. How would you finish it? Suggestions needed! :-

)Name:  squares-shadow1.jpg
Views: 1746
Size:  201.6 KB
    There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right. Think good thoughts for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of LIFE...Getting back up is LIVING... (Borrowed from Airwick156 :-)

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Whatever strips you have the most of maybe border it with that/those. Like the strips in your smaller blocks of primary colors. Or do 2 at the top and bottom then 2 different at the sides

Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA
    Sorry, I should have said they are made from part of a Jelly Roll and I don't have any of the ones used here left to use.
    There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right. Think good thoughts for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of LIFE...Getting back up is LIVING... (Borrowed from Airwick156 :-)

Power Poster
    I might look for a large print in those colours on a white background and add a large border.

Would this work or is it too small a print? Or maybe a stripe going across not up and down?

Name:  squares border1.jpg
Views: 1716
Size:  35.8 KB

I like that for a border. But, I would put a very narrow darker border first. Maybe the blue or green

Thanks.... I was thinking that but it just didn't click so I thought maybe I wasn't looking at it right. Green is my choice. So many people I run into think if it's blue or pink it must be for a kid. :-(

Seems that your cat really likes the quilt top. I usually stitch in the ditch.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Yes, she didn't even let me straighten it out. :-) I'll tie it. I like the puffy look the best.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    any way your furbaby wants it finished. you could go all out and finish the edges with matching prairie points.
    I don't have any of the jelly roll left. :-( It was only a partial roll.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Your cat is just trying to help you figure out what color border this delightful quilt needs. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

I love your cat and your quilt. I think the fabric you have would look good as an outer border, and the green you mentioned as the inner border. Give your quilt inspector a pet for looking so cute!

Dina

I made a quilt from that pattern for a baby and put a 1 inch border of white then a 4 inch border of pink polka dots. It turned out cute.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSunshine View Post
    I made a quilt from that pattern for a baby and put a 1 inch border of white then a 4 inch border of pink polka dots. It turned out cute.
    This sounds really cute! Polka dots would work well with this.

If you don't need the quilt to be any bigger, I say leave it as it is. Quilt it (or tie it) and bind it.

Perhaps you have hit a mental block on how to proceed because your inner artist is telling you it's done.

Well, I'm going to go out in left field. What about doing a B/W (or shades of grey) pieced or PP border in the shape of cats? Just a row of cats in various shades of grey to frame your bright colorful diamonds & show your love of kitties. You could make them pretty much any size from 3" on up. And then I'd bind it in one of those pretty colored prints you used in the center.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
    I like that for a border. But, I would put a very narrow darker border first. Maybe the blue or green
    Good advice.

I would put a 2 1/2" white border on it if you have white left. Just enough to frame it. I love that fabric you used. So bright & cheery

Blog Entries
    I agree that your other fabric would make a good border, but I would do a narrow framing border first. I like your idea of a green. I would use that or maybe the red that is in your extra fabric. Your quilt top has a very happy feel to it (think the cat thinks so too!).

I'd add three borders: skinnier, bright color, fatter print, maybe the one you posted and final, another bright color.
    And I like it. Very cheerful.

I have made similar quilts like this with jelly rows and I'll tell you what I'd do. First I would use white to frame it in a 2.5" first border. Then I would pick any color that goes perfectly with one fabric in the quilt top and use that as a second border making it about 5 inches finished. Sometimes I end up making about 3 or 4 borders using various colors interspersed with white. My quilts always turn out great.

Really cute quilt.

I would try a narrow white with the fabric you have, then something like the blue with white polka dots on it.

Or, White, then do you have enough of the jelly roll left to cut into 2 1/2 inch squares, sewn together to make a scrappy border all the way round?
    Live Long And Prosper!

Well, here it is! I like it. :-)

Name:  Box Quilt1.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  134.2 KB

Super cute! I really love the green!