Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to get perfect pinwheels? >

How to get perfect pinwheels?

How to get perfect pinwheels?

Old 06-06-2011, 08:58 AM

Have you tried Thangles?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg
Do you know there is a software program that has them on thier CD and then what we do here is go to the Dollar Store and get tracing paper and print them out on it. It really saves money especially when you have large projects going on
The program is called Triangulations. I snagged it from a sale bin on vacation. SCORE! The tracing paper idea is brilliant. Gotta love this Board...
Old 06-06-2011, 09:35 AM

Thanks, everyone for the info. I am new to quilting and I did not know what HST/QST meant. Now, I do. Thank you.

Annee from Arizona
Old 06-06-2011, 09:35 AM

Here's a good tutorial on pinwheels. The last part shows you how to
reduce bulk where all your seams meet. You can also press your seams
open when you assemble your HST's or you can press all seams open...up
to you. Happy quilting. :)

http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...ngles__D4.html
Old 06-06-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by vivientan
According to the pattern I'm working on, it says to put 2 squares right sides together, then draw a line on the diagonal. Thereafter sew 1/4 seam to either sides of this line. Then cut along the line to form two triangles before piecing them together to form a pinwheel. Is this a good way to sew the pinwheels?
I've done that method and as long as you have a near perfect seam allowance, I don't cut them any larger and mine still line up. Caveat: I always pin and start at the most important point/ corner and sew out, that way if my seam allowance is off I still get the point/ corner I need right and can trim down if I absolutely have to.

Something that may be messing you up is that when you press them on the bias you can end up stretching them quite a bit (I started sewing making garments and so when we say press, we mean iron until you're sure it won't move, quilters I found through trial, error and talking to some friends over the years mean press just enough that the seam will be where you want it when you sew across it).

I've also used the 2 squares that give you 4 triangles (2 diagonal cuts after sewing around the outside) and have found that A/ it's easier because I'm not sewing on a bias and B/ I get more pieces for the effort!

Just my take.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kayaker26
Okay I tried the Missouri Quilt lady method you take 2 squares the same size, right sides together, sew around all 4 sides with 1/4 inch seam and the diagonally cut across to form 4 separate pieces put them together and all of mine came together pretty darned close!
That is a great way - my only complaint with that method is that you end up with edges that are bias. I do mine this way:
1. 2 - 6" squares right sides tog
2. mark corner to corner both directions
3. sew scant 1/4" on both sides of the two lines
4. cut on the lines.

Makes eight HSTs that are raw edge to raw edge 2.5" trimmed.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:45 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

lots of neat suggestions ! Good post ! thanks!
Ell
Old 06-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for all of the information and link

Originally Posted by eparys
I make the HSTs larger and cut them down. You need to be careful that the seams are at the corner of the HST. Most directions say add 7/8" but I add a full inch and trim square. I also make 8 at a time. If I want 2.5" blocks - I start with two 6" squares and go from there.

I use a 6X12 ruler with angles marked on it but the tucker trimmers are great for that as well - here is how they work ->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw7qi3uHUZg

I also press all the seams in the same direction so the seams nest tog when assembling. Here is my most recent quilt that is still underway - lol lots of HSTs.