Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to get the Smell out? >

How to get the Smell out?

How to get the Smell out?

Old 04-28-2011, 02:28 PM

I use my prespot, works for me, have heard hydrogen peroxide works too
Old 04-28-2011, 02:37 PM

The oder should wash out completely when washed with regular detergent. If it doesn't come out the first time then I'd add resolve washiing additive and wash again. Do not dry the fabrics if the oder doesn't come out in the first wash. Drying in the dryer will only set stains and oders.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

Ive had good luck with detergent and vineger.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:23 PM

I divorced it.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:56 PM

Put the sprayed on fabrics in a large plast heavy duty garbage bag. Add one bag of charcoal (not the pretreated kind to lite quickly. Close the bag. Set out in a sunny location for a couple of days. After the first day, go and move the charcoal around in the bag and close it back up. Let it set for the second day. After day two, remove charcoal, shake out the fabric and wash using one of the methods listed above. You can fold each piece of fabric wrong side out before loosly tossing in the bag. That way the charcoal stays on the wrong side of the fabric, but it is suppose to wash out.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
My little boy chihuahua (Tinker) should be Stinker - he occasionally tries to "mark" in the house, especially one corner of my white bedspread. :?

I bought a product called Urine Trouble (by the same company that makes Mary Ellen's Best Press) and it does a good job of breaking down all the chemicals in the urine so that they don't attract the dog back to that same spot. It gets out the stains and spots, too.

There are other brands that use the same kinds of enzymes to remove the chemicals that attract animals, just look in the carpet cleaning section of your grocery store. Febreze makes one, Resolve makes one - check the label to see if it has these cleaning enzymes.

I wish I could find some way of training a dog not to mark - I love my pets but this is the one thing I can't handle - eliminating in the house.
Sounds like Tinker would be a good canidate for wearing a bad boy belly band when he is in the house.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Power Poster

When this happened to me, regular washing in the washing machine wasn't enough. What did work was spraying the fabric with F.O.N. (Feline Odor Neutralizer), placing in a plastic bag for half a day, and then washing in the machine.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:15 AM

The only product I've ever had luck with getting out that particular smell is the liquid lysol added to the wash. I always prewash my fabric except for small pieces that I get for BOM's from my LQS. Even FQ's get washed here. I want to know if there are issues with the fabric before I use it. Even then I've still had issues with bleeding. Good luck getting out that scent and with the spaying. I had one cat that continued to 'spray' even after spaying.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Shivesa
So I was super excited today when DH bought me a plastic storage set to put all my fabric in. Up until this point, my growing stash has been in plastic bags on the couch and floor in our dining room.

So I was very frustrated and a little annoyed when I found that the cat (who needs to be spayed) has apparently 'sprayed' on some of my lovely fabric! :( :cry: It smells absolutely horrible - so I thought I'd ask what's the best way to wash them? I've NEVER washed my fabric before and attempted to wash two pieces in the sink, but they don't dry very well and I think that will be a very painstaking method if it even works.

Any suggestions?
Put it in a tote then layer it with a good smelling CAT LITTER. keep layering it untill fabric is all gone. and change litter about every 3 days or so.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lady Shivesa
I had heard that you need to serge the edges before washing - is this true?
There are very few things in life that one HAS to do - serging/overcasting the edges of your fabric before washing is one of them.

HOWEVER, I think doing so is worth the effort because one only "loses" 1/8 to 3/16 on each end (that's under the thread - and one can remove the thread if one chooses to) versus up to 3/4 inch (on some fabrics - not many, but some) on each end due to fraying. Plus then one doesn't have to fight with all those threads.

I'm attaching a scan of two washed fabrics - one where the ends were serged - the other where they were not.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-190566.jpe