Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to get the Smell out? >

How to get the Smell out?

How to get the Smell out?

Old 04-29-2011, 03:50 AM

...what easter marie said....I've also put sprayed fabric in a bag with a bowl of baking soda but it takes longer than charcoal. I always add a cup of baking soda to detergent when I have smelly fabric or smelly husband clothes to wash. I inherited some fabric from a friend who passed away from lung cancer....her fabric reeked of stale tobacco smoke...really strong....the charcoal worked with it! Good luck.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

The smell can be gotten out. One of my cats was also an anointer.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:40 AM

I would kill the cat - well not really but it wouldn't be spraying any more fabric!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:45 AM

I had a smell issue with mildew once and I put the fabric in the washer with lots of plain white vinegar...no more smell!
Old 04-29-2011, 05:48 AM

Good morning. I have a similar problem with my Chihuahua and MinPin. They are both alpha females and mark over each other every chance they get. I have gates all over the place to keep them off the carpet - but sometimes they get out!

Scolding hasn't done a thing! Wonder if there is a product such as "Off" that would discourage them?
Old 04-29-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Shivesa
Thanks so much for all the advice. I really appreciate it. Luckily there's only about one bag of fabric that she got to (and a box of several hundred 2.5" squares...but I might not even mess with them...).

Oh, that's too bad. Maybe put the squares into a mesh bag like for delicates and wash them in the gentle cycle and dry just a little, then iron completely dry? If you really like the colors-if not, hey I'm all for trashing things in cases like this...now if they were 5" or bigger squares I'd probably try to save them.

Our cat sprayed the corners and carpets before we got him fixed. We used the urine out stuff from the pet store because I had heard that they'll return to the spot even after they are fixed unless you really get it all out.

Good luck getting that smell out.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:23 AM

Thanks so much for all the advice. I really appreciate it. Luckily there's only about one bag of fabric that she got to (and a box of several hundred 2.5" squares...but I might not even mess with them...).
Put the squares in a laundry bag and wash them.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MaggieLou
Put the squares in a laundry bag and wash them.
I'd swish the bag in a sink - not the washing machine. (Could spin dry it in the machine)
Old 04-29-2011, 07:34 AM

We used to live on a camp grounds and our little dog was forever getting sprayed by skunks. We were told to give her a bath in tomato juice. She should have turned red for all the tomato juice baths she had. Later when my cat sprayed the back ofn my robe one morning a neighbor said to use white vinegar. To this day all cat boxes are washed and deoderized with white vinegar. Works likea charm. Either spay your fabric and then rinse or wash with water and lots of vinegar. It is also great for windows and general cleaning so I buy it by the gallon. One day the check our clerk at the grocery story asked me how many quarts of pickles I was going to make!!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
My little boy chihuahua (Tinker) should be Stinker - he occasionally tries to "mark" in the house,....

I wish I could find some way of training a dog not to mark - I love my pets but this is the one thing I can't handle - eliminating in the house.
I can tell you how to do it, but it takes some work. Most people are not willing to do what it takes. If you are willing...

Put the dog on a leash and attach the leash to your waist. Do not let the dog out of your sight. When you need to do something and cannot have the dog tied to you, then put him in a kennel/crate. Take him outside after every meal and whenever you think he's acting like he needs to go. Absolutely do not give him the run of the house. Let him sleep in his crate at night. Get up and take him out during the night if you have to. Then put him back in the crate. Take him out first thing in the morning. Give him all his meals and treats in the crate and only in the crate. He can only be either tied to your waist, in his crate, or in a fenced exercise area that will not allow him access to the house. Do this for a month, and when you do allow him off leash for the first time in the house, make sure he is only in a room you can monitor. Do not give him full run of the house until he is totally trustworthy. This may be later rather than sooner. If he starts to hike his leg again in the house, take him outside; then tie him to your waist again.

I recognize that this is a lot of bother. Just because it works does not mean it is easy. If he is older, it will take longer to correct because he has a history of bad habits.

Do not yell at or spank your dog. Do not rub his nose in his eliminations. These are counter-productive. Do praise your dog when he eliminates in the proper place.

BTW, I've been training dogs over 16 years.