Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to iron every little seam... help! >

How to iron every little seam... help!

How to iron every little seam... help!

Old 05-04-2010, 05:34 AM

I am doing Athena's Puzzle which cannot be chained pieced
easily. I am trying to get all the blocks done by the next class, on Thursday, but not rush so much to get sloppy! So who cares if my place is dusty? I'll clean on Friday!
Old 05-04-2010, 05:42 AM

i did what Maride did and i have it right by my table/sewing machine and it works great yesterday i brought a 4' folding table these fold in half to 2'by 2' which is in the furniture dept with the card tables bow i can also cut and iron without getting up. I am sewing in my bedroom now so that works out great for a small area.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:47 AM

I do have a little ironing board, now that I think of it. Finding out requires cleaning out one of those junk closets!
Old 05-04-2010, 05:49 AM

I have the little June Tailor board on the right side of my machine and then my upright ironong board just a few feet away alway's at the ready.

Of course last night my Rowenta iron finally gave up the ghost and I was finger pressing. To many pieces on this scrappy piece!
NOTE: cat's like ironong boards and knocking over your iron. Too many times willl damage it. PUT iron away when not in use.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:53 AM

try to find a little camper-sized ironing board. I found one at a garage sale and it's great.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:57 AM

At home I lower the ironing board to table level and pull it right up by my machine. In class I take one of those little 3 or 4" irons and a folded feed sack and have it right by my machine. But it's still a good idea to get up and move around at least once an hour, I just don't like taking the time when I'm really busy with something.

I purchased an ironing sheet/pad, very cheap, at JoAnn's and keep it next to the sewing machine. Works out great!!

I just move my ironing board along side my sewing cabinet at a right angle, then lower the ironing board to the same height as my cabinet. I have to use an extension cord for the iron, but that is no problem.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QBeth
Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
The quilt I am making calls for me to iron every seam as I piece them together. Which means I have to hop up and down between my sewing machine and ironing board. Does anyone have a better set up? Alas, I do not have a studio...yet! Thanks so much for your expertise!
Joann's, and other places probably, carry something called a Quilter's cut & press which is a cutting board on one side and pressing board on the flip side. I keep one next to my sewing machine along with my iron. I've attached a picture of it. Comes in two sizes.
I have that and love it. It sits on my dining room table and I sew in the corner of the dining room. My chair has wheels so I just scoot over to press.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:12 AM

I have a table top ironing board from Walmart. small enough to be convenient and big enough to press whole blocks. And it protects my kitchen table.