Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to iron every little seam... help! >

How to iron every little seam... help!

How to iron every little seam... help!

Old 05-05-2010, 04:11 AM

I lower my ironing board to where I just have to turn my chair a little-wheels on sewing chair. I lower the ironing board to just the right height.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:30 AM

By VSH (very sweet husband) mounted one of the small table top
ironing boards on the wall next to my machine. He took the small
legs off first. I use a small travel iron; cheaper than the small irons you find in quilt mags., and just swivel. I don't have to get up. He
also used a mesh type ironing board and added 1/2 inch plywood to the top. I have padded and covered that and now have an 18 x 60 in. rectangle board for bigger ironing projects.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:40 AM

I finished the 25 blocks last night. I picked up some speed toward the end but I also got confused and had to rip a few seams. I used many different colors so I just worked with one color pair at a time.
The results are dazzling. My class is tomorrow, so I hope to sew it together tonight. It was actually simple once I got into it. Thanks for your advice. I use the strip technique when I make the Quilts for Kids packets.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by sewgull
Call the jumping down excerise. Now you are getting more for your time.
My ironing board is in the next room. I turn on the iron, and hop on my exercise bike thing. I know just about how long to exercise while the iron heats up. Lots of pressing equals lots of exercise!
Old 05-05-2010, 05:46 AM

I like to keep a large potholder by my machine, and use a Clover mini-iron to press small things. When I get a whole block done, I get up and go to the big ironing board to press it.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:49 AM

Thanks for the great tips about the June Taylor Cutting and ironing board..
By the way... a good tip for hand sewing...instead of having several needles threaded and in your pin cushion... I just thread several needles onto the spool of thread.....tie a knot in the end and attach back to the spool...all I have to do is undo...take one needle and take as much thread as needed....then tie a knot....attach back to spool....and taaa-daaa I'm good to go...
Old 05-05-2010, 05:53 AM

That is great idea. I think I will wrap a towel around a little bread board. My surface is small.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

i keep a small ironing board/iron on my sewing table right next to my sewing machine...so when i'm appliqueing or doing small pieces i just have to turn a little...for regular piecing i get up and go to the big board...to get me off my butt every now and then :)
Old 05-05-2010, 07:02 AM

I use a wooden dowel with a flat end and my index fingernail and actually open all the seams. This enables you to sew the next piece with the latter one open. Of course, you eventually have to iron the piece, but it is so so much easier. Many quilters do not open all their seams but I've learned the hard way. There is much less wear and tear on your machine. It takes a little longer in the beginning but worth the time. God bless!!
Old 05-05-2010, 07:31 AM

I use the little roller from the wallpaper dept. First roll the seam to set the stitches and then to the side or whatever. No board neccessary. I keep it right by my machine.