Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to know it's good fabric!

Hi, I'm planning a trip to Ireland in August. First time and I'm excited. How's the weather in August and what quilt shops do you recommend?

Definite connection between quilters and animal lovers. My cats want to be right in the middle of things...unless the dogs are close by...then the cats find something high to jump on so they can watch the progress from a safe distance.

When I started out, I just bought what was pretty. I look at some of the older stuff and wonder "What was I thinking?". Some of it is very thin. A few years ago I had made a quilt for my dog. (That's him on the left laying on it). After it had been washed just about 7 times one fabric was pulling away and shredding.

Now, I only buy the good stuff. I want my quilts to last. I check to see if it is soft and has good weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Is it printed on the grain or is the printing really off?
    I bought some designer fabric on sale recently. It was a sort of check pattern. I wanted to use it in the corners of a quilt, and so the pattern needed to be straight. I was amazed at how "off" it was. It was hard to find a place where I could cut a straight 3-1/2" square of it, and I needed four squares. I got what I needed, but wow! I'll be careful about that in the future. I got this particular fabric online, and so there was no way to know it would come that way. Lesson learned.

Welcome Ellasgran! I love this quilting board. You will learn alot and will become addicted.

Welcome to the Board!! It's very addictive, as I'm sure you'll soon discover. _:-)_ Other information you might check out is threads on this Board about where to shop. Connecting Threads, Keepsake Quilting, etc., are both good but there are certainly others. Use the Search feature at the top to look for shopping or some such.

As for cats and other furry creatures, that's a big YES for a lot of us!! the only way I could get anything done in my sewing room was to add a comfy bed for each kitty (4). And, no shutting them out!! Oh, no!! Rudy (see my avatar) will scream, and I mean SCREAM, outside the door until I let him in. My Squeaky will bull doze the door until it pops open. Very determined, those two. The other two just sit back until "open sesame," then they just walk on in.

hello and welcome.
    i also buy trusted brands from trusted online sites. i wait until a good sale with little or no shipping. if i see something i like in a store, but i'm not familiar with the manufacturer, i wrap the fabric tight around my wedding ring. if a see a glimmer of gold, then it's too thin.
    remember, though, when you wash fabric the weave does tighten up, so if a fabric is on the edge as far as thickness, prewashing usually solves that problem.

My guy went to a new retail store that carries fabric at a time when I could'nt go. After I teased him for going without me, he said he went thru the fabric dept. "for me" since I wasn't there & he could just see me feeling of all the fabric! I guess it's the thought that counts :lol:

Hello & Welcome!!

Welcome from another Georgian! I know you will enjoy the board as much as everyone else :lol:

Blog Entries
    Welcome, waving from Indiana, USA

Blog Entries
    I agree with all the other responses. One tip I would suggest is to buy the cheaper fabric while you're learning. That way, if you mess up badly, you won't be out too much money. When I'm learning a new technique, I'll use a cheaper fabric I have laying around first... then move on to the quality fabric for that project.

Welcome to the group!!

VickiG

I have to add that we dog lovers love to quilt as well.:_)

...also known as QI's -- Quilt Inspectors! The QIs also come in dog, bird, iguana....etc..

rusty

I love all of your suggestions. I feel like we're sitting around sipping our favorite beverage and hanging out like old friends. What a comforting feeling!

Hello from Chicago! Welcome to the group! As suggested earlier I would practice on good but less expensive fabrics to develop your techniques and move on to more expensive fabrics later. I remember when I was first using the rotary cutter and I couldn't hold the cut to the ruler-you don't want to do that with $12+/yd! Or even on a difficult block.
    As with the better fabrics, you do get a feel for them. Just like sheets quilt fabrics are made in a variety of thead counts, experience looking at them and feeling them helps tyou to tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoozle
    Welcome aboard. I'm new here too.
    Having worked in 2 quilt shops for over 20+ years in Pa. then Iowa I know that only a "real" quilt shop sells quality fabric. Some manufacturers you love and trust and others...not so much! The same applies to quilt shops! (Joann's, Hobby Lobby and Walmart are NOT quilt shops.)Manufactures produce fabric specifically for "quilt shops" and "not to be sold at chain stores".
    I prewash and dry all of my fabrics. Good fabric does not fray and tangle excessively when it comes out of the washer.Cheap greige goods come out in a wadded ball of threads. Bare in mind that manufacturers use different quality greige goods for different "fabric lines" so while you may not like one line another may be just what your looking for.
    That is very interesting. I knew the quality at the other stores was not as good but I did not realize that only the quilt stores could get the quality fabric. Thanks for the info.

Your cat picture is funny! I can't believe he/she sat still for that. So cute.

I buy most of my fabric from Joanns, and really have no complaints. Recently I went to a LQS and splurged. I started sewing on that fabric over the weekend and I can honestly say I had forgotten how lovely really good fabric feels. It feels like the difference between 200 thread count sheets and 1000 thread count Egyptian Cotton. It just makes you want to touch it...

I noticed if its crunchy and stiff, or papery feeling it was on the bargain rack. The good stuff you get at the quilt shops instead of Walmart or other cheaper places, is soft, a little glossy and almost feels like its got silk in it, but it says 100% cotton. I dumped all the crunchy stuff at a yard sale that I bought before I knew better. All my work has to be with the good stuff. :) Fabric.com has good fabric at a decent price too.

Welcome, from another cat and quilt fan. (fanatic? maybe!)

Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    Welcome from SW Iowa. I feel the fabric. Is it thin. No way. Is it beautiful. Go for it. Find what you like and go with that.
    I always scrunch it to see how much the wrinkles & creases happen. It seems to me that those things seem to roll out of the better fabrics. Even in my old stash, before I knew better, if I scrunch it & sharp wrinkles stay, I get rid of it.

Very good point. Same as the papery feeling I was talking about. Like starchy. The expensive good stuff is silkier.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoozle
    Welcome aboard. I'm new here too.
    Having worked in 2 quilt shops for over 20+ years in Pa. then Iowa I know that only a "real" quilt shop sells quality fabric. Some manufacturers you love and trust and others...not so much! The same applies to quilt shops! (Joann's, Hobby Lobby and Walmart are NOT quilt shops.)Manufactures produce fabric specifically for "quilt shops" and "not to be sold at chain stores".
    I prewash and dry all of my fabrics. Good fabric does not fray and tangle excessively when it comes out of the washer.Cheap greige goods come out in a wadded ball of threads. Bare in mind that manufacturers use different quality greige goods for different "fabric lines" so while you may not like one line another may be just what your looking for.
    Several years ago, Louise Cutting gave a super program on fabric. She lives in our town so it was easy to book her then. She had several fabrics of the same print or design and explained how fabric was dyed or stamped. We learned why fabric at WM can be $3 and the same (?) fabric at the LQS is $9. They are not the same for many reasons. She even had three fabrics that "looked" exactly alike but were entirely different in quality. She also explained why it is so important for fabric buyers to develop a "hand" or feel for the fabric. This comes from time and experience.

Did you know she is a fabulous artist and does all her own pattern drawings?

Speaking of good fabric, I'd like to share with all of you that I just received my order of Batiks from Roberta (bob1414) & they are the most beaut. fabrics ever. I left the color choices up to her & she chose a beaut. assortment. If any of you have placed orders with her, you will be very happy with your fabrics.
    I do have one prob. though. Now I can't imagine cutting into them.
    Roberta was wonderful to work with, too.
    Here is a pix of mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast