Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: How to know it's good fabric!

Batiks. I got one yd. of ea. color & plan to make a stained glass quilt then a butterflies quilt with leftovers. I'm afraid my scissors might object to cutting into them though. Guess I have to let them know who's boss. LOL

I want to thank Belles again for sending me the butterfly quilt pattern that I couldn't get to print.
    It's so great to be a part of such a thoughtful grp. of people.

Pat

Several years ago, Louise Cutting gave a super program on fabric. She lives in our town so it was easy to book her then. She had several fabrics of the same print or design and explained how fabric was dyed or stamped. We learned why fabric at WM can be $3 and the same (?) fabric at the LQS is $9. They are not the same for many reasons. She even had three fabrics that "looked" exactly alike but were entirely different in quality. She also explained why it is so important for fabric buyers to develop a "hand" or feel for the fabric. This comes from time and experience.

Did you know she is a fabulous artist and does all her own pattern drawings?[/quote]

Love the name, Louise Cutting. How appropriate and so on the mark! We as a shop had a big row with a fabric manufacturer about this because fabrics we bought started turning up in chain stores for half the price or less and the rest of the quilt shops in our area were with us on this. ( We had to ream-out a few fabric reps, but we got their attention.) That was back in the early 90's when a certain west coast designer "sold out". I think her new "windfall" got the better of her and I rarely see the company's fabric (or her books/patterns) in quilt shops anymore so they sought the easy way out. And then there was a Mid-west designer... but that's a whole other story. It's
    best said, "you get what you pay for". It takes years of touching and feeling to develope a good fabric sense, but you must pay attention to those senses. Cheap fabrics have thier purpose for experimentation, very true, but if you plan to leave a legacy, and I think most quilters do, then it doesn't pay to skimp on fabric.
    BTW the handsome fellow on the left is Rockat, one of my four furry feline friends. He thinks life can imitate art!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat G
    Speaking of good fabric, I'd like to share with all of you that I just received my order of Batiks from Roberta (bob1414) & they are the most beaut. fabrics ever. I left the color choices up to her & she chose a beaut. assortment. If any of you have placed orders with her, you will be very happy with your fabrics.
    I do have one prob. though. Now I can't imagine cutting into them.
    Roberta was wonderful to work with, too.
    Here is a pix of mine.
    Those are beautiful, I want some!

Quote Originally Posted by galvestonangel
    Speaking of good fabric, I'd like to share with all of you that I just received my order of Batiks from Roberta (bob1414) & they are the most beaut. fabrics ever. I left the color choices up to her & she chose a beaut. assortment. If any of you have placed orders with her, you will be very happy with your fabrics.
    Here is a pix of mine.

Just write bob1414.

Banned
    Its good if YOU like it. :thumbup:

Welcome to the forum! It's great here. I have recently come back to quilting and have really gotten into it now with help from all the great quilters here. The information is so helpful. I just read a topic about basting with 505 spray and now have the courage to use it with all the good instructions that were posted.
    I also have a furry assistant named Spencer, the Cat.

Blog Entries
    Oh, at the quilt show demo, it was said that good quality of fabric had 70 thread count per inch.. and now it has dropped to 60 in most places. She had said that you can buy some type of viewing glass to see and count the thread count, but I doubt I would do that! :)

Quote Originally Posted by galvestonangel
    Here is a pix of mine.

Just write bob1414.
    I just emailed my order! I can't wait to get it. Thanks for letting us see your order.

Welcome, from West Virginia

Yes....you can feel the quality....if it feels soft/silky it is a good fabric....if it feels limp...let it be...the same with stiff fabric...it never will get soft even when you wash it 10 times...

Here is a very informative article:

http://searchwarp.com/swa342433.htm

Welcome from Flint,MI! You must touch the fabric.... I love feeling good fabric! Im not super picky, I have a lot of Jo-Ann fabrics, however, Im a sucker for Moda, awesome quality!And yes, your circle of friends has just exploded, theres alot of us! :thumbup:

Kudos Kudos!!! to you for submitting this informative article. This IS IT... in black and white...You get what you pay for!!!!!
    As a long time quilter I know I want my hard work to lasssst for at least a generation or 3! My quilts are my legacy....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3